General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious to what the HD community thinks of Triumph.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007 | 10:00 PM
mcb
Tourer
Default RE: Curious to what the HD community thinks of Triumph.

Like the Triumphs, Bonnevilles. They have agood following and have seen some real nice restorations on them around my area. We have a dealership here, but have not stopped in, will make a point to soon.

Old 02-19-2007 | 10:57 PM
Wayward Son
Road Master

I admire the Triumph brand. It's an old brand as old as harley I think. Indian would be lucky to do as well.

That being said, like someone else posted the R3 is not my cup of tea. Seen one up close, looks like the engine came straight off a John Deere. I admire the concept. Just not for me. I really liked the concept of the bonneville america/speedmaster series. It astounded me that triumph went away from the 790 to a lesser performing (prolly cheaper to produce) 865 cc motor. Not many motor upgrades available. There was a 904 kit for the 790, some upgraded cams and carbs, but it gets real expensive. Limited market and all.

If Triumph would have produced a reliable 1500cc version of the america/speedmaster a couple years ago, they could have made an impact in the market if they could have kept the price under 12k. These days, I dunno.

Hope the brand succeeds, but like the victory lineup, just seems to fall short of expectation.

Old 02-19-2007 | 11:37 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior

I like some of the 60's replica's they build and some of the sport modles,but the Rocket 3 is fugly.

Old 02-20-2007 | 12:02 AM
3dynaP
Road Captain

I hope to own a Triumph some day.

Old 02-20-2007 | 12:26 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member

I'll always remember a couple of riders in the town I grew up in who had Triumphs...and for some reason I am not aware of no one owned a Harley at that time (go figure?). There were plenty of Honda's and Yamaha's around back then (1960's) butthe Triumph was the meanest bike of the bunch. I guess if you grew up around HD's all your life you'd think they arethe icon of'classic' bikes. When I was a kid the Triumph's aroundtown were the bad-*** bike and so they established themselves in this kid's mind asmy idea of a 'classic'. So what do I think of them now? Same as before...a quality built bike with a damn fine name. But, I'm glad I can throw my leg over my Harley now.

Old 02-20-2007 | 12:37 AM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

I dunno I guess I like them .

I have a 8 x 10 of the Rockett on my desk . Had the Janesville ,Wi. dealer call me when the first Rockett arrived . Got lots of pictures .
With the hard corbin bags and shield they don't look to bad , still a bit fugly thou .
I believe their touring version is coming out soon , I'd like to see what that looks like .
There's a couple other models that catch my eye also but I'm out of garage space .
Of course the wife wanting her dream house and the kid starting college soon don't help either .

Old 02-20-2007 | 12:54 AM
Iowabiker
Intermediate

Interesting this topic should come up. I just got back this weekend from a vintage dealers open house by the name of Baxter Cycle in Marne, Iowa. They specialize in new Triumps, vintage Triumps, Nortons, BSA and Matchless. They have over 100 vintage bikes in stock. Had a great time seeing the vintage bikes and the great thing is they are all For Sale. Most of them have been totally restored to original condition. He has a used parts inventory that is next to none. It is my understanding he is one of the largest dealers of vintage Triumps in the United States. He has a web site called Baxter Cycle. Take a look. He even had a Honda Cub 70, my first bike that he taking to Daytona. He also had a vintage 2 cylinder 160 cc Honda that he is putting the super tune on to take to Daytona. I got to see a 1951 Vincent and he was only asking $58,000. Two 1940 Triumps that were restored in England and are going to a museum in Atlanta, Georgia. Wfhat a trip back in time.

Old 02-20-2007 | 01:09 AM
Purple Thunder
Cruiser

To gliderider. thatis a Jammer 18" over and a hand made sissybar. One tough bike to ride. Doesn't turn to well on the narrow roads. But is the true essence of a late 60 Triumph.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23460/4A5D24E8AC8C4788BB0916AF2AFF4F19.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-20-2007 | 01:15 AM
Purple Thunder
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: gliderider

ORIGINAL: Purple Thunder

I personally like my 750 twin. But as you say (Lucas the inventor of darkness) The new don't have the look. I have always received the nod from and usually a chat when I ride it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23460/6497183362C94038828F2BCBCC504B8C.jpg[/IMG]
Wow, twisted springer, K-Q seat, six-bend pullbacks, rectangular headlight, hardtail, peanut tank...a real 1970's chop. I do like the TT pipes...

I had a similar one years ago, the sissybar was quite a bit higher though, lol.
It was a rat, but it could haul *** for a 650 cc bike with asoup can carb (monoblock).
has twin carbs also its a 750 got to love it

Old 02-20-2007 | 01:19 AM
tread
Outstanding HDF Member

I think they are cool bikes.

Quick Reply: Curious to what the HD community thinks of Triumph.