General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious to what the HD community thinks of Triumph.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007 | 02:08 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default RE: Curious to what the HD community thinks of Triumph.

Very nice bikes... the vintage ones and newer. Used to ride a totally chromed out 60's Bonneville. A friend had a beautiful Speed Twin that I'd sure like to find today! But, that Lucas guy?... what a diabolical mean SOB he was to have foisted all his electrics voodooon us![:@] And then there were those damn carburetors he tried to make[:'(]
ORIGINAL: Hackd

I wish I still had my old 1970 Bonneville. Just as the V-Twin has it's unique sound...So does the British Verticle Twin. Really loved that bike, Lucas electrics and all.

Old 02-19-2007 | 02:10 PM
MAchonewon
Road Master

Totally differnt bike from Harley. They certainly have their place in many garages and hearts. I have fond memories of the bonneville. Depends on your style and type of riding. I have to have the Harlye ride, sound, and mystique.

Old 02-19-2007 | 02:34 PM
jakedog
Road Warrior

I'm with you monkeyman, back in the 60's when I started riding they were very popular....

Old 02-19-2007 | 02:56 PM
RMBob
Cruiser

My second bike is a 2006 Triumph Speedmaster. I bought it for my wife, who only rode it a couple of times, so I rode it to work for a while. For the money they are great bikes, but you can definitely tell that Harley quality is better. When you get up close and inspect the bike, you find plastic fenders and plastic chrome. If I could not afford a Harley, I would definitely consider the Triumph as my primary bike because it runs well for the money.

If you think that stock Harley pipes are quiet, you should hear stock Speedmaster pipes. They are so quiet the bike sounds like a sewing machine. You hear every little engine noise.

Old 02-19-2007 | 02:58 PM
Crankshaft
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: dmlong

I've ridden a friends Rocket III a few times and its FAST,smooth and did I say FAST! I couldnt own one though,I'd be sitting in jail the 1st day!
dmlong, you hit the nail right on the head there, I've ridden the Rocket III and there's way too much temptation to go way faster than you should. Smoking the rear tire in 3rd gear is fun though. I love my Fatboy, but if I couldn't ride a Harley..... I would probably be in jail on the first day too.

Old 02-19-2007 | 03:13 PM
gliderider
Cruiser

Love Triumphs. As one poster above said, there's a distinctive sound to a Brit P-twin. Thumpers, they are.

I have a '66 Bonnie in the garage, in total disrepair. Owned it since '81. I'm just waiting for the donations to start pouring in so I can start restoring her.

Old 02-19-2007 | 03:33 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

I also have nothing but good things to say about the 2 TriumphsI owned. I had a Triumph chopper and a 1973 Bonneville.
Tom

Old 02-19-2007 | 03:36 PM
pitbulldog
Road Captain

I rode Triumphs (Nortons & BSA's also) when I was a teenager before I could afford a H-D. Great bikes with plenty of character!

Old 02-19-2007 | 03:39 PM
capt42a
Road Master

I have a friend who has the Triumph America and he loves his, I personally dont like the engine on the Rocket III.
capt42a

Old 02-19-2007 | 03:49 PM
Purple Thunder
Cruiser

I personally like my 750 twin. But as you say (Lucas the inventor of darkness) The new don't have the look. I have always received the nod from and usually a chat when I ride it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23460/6497183362C94038828F2BCBCC504B8C.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Curious to what the HD community thinks of Triumph.