General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I HATE it when people say this........

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Low_Wider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I HATE it when people say this........

Been riding for many years and thankfully never had the misfortune of an accident. My wife doesn't ride, has no interest but puts up with it because she knows I enjoy it so much. She worries probably a bit too much each time I go out for a ride.
So why does it seem that every time when you're in a conversation with someone (usually a non-rider) and it comes up that you're a rider they go on to tell every story they've heard about someone getting killed or seriously injured on a bike! Just what my wife does not need to hear and all it does is make her fret that much the more.

Why do people do that? Do they think we don't know the risks of the sport and it's their duty to educate us? I've gotten to the point that when I hear it starting down that path I rudely interrupt them and change the subject.

Sorry for the vent guys, just happened again yesterday in church, just think people should be more considerate.......

Old 07-05-2010, 11:18 AM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya It's like they don't know about the Billions of Miles ridden with nothing happening right .

Mine doesn't ride and has seen 1st hand death but knows it's no different then walking down the street here in the city so it doesn't bother her. I'm sure she worries a bit when I have the kid with me but no different then when the kids out driving her jeep without us.

Oh and I have have totaled a few myself due to cagers .

Old 07-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Clocker
Cruiser

Doesn't help that I'm a biker and a smoker.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:39 AM
artz
Road Master

they most likely say that due to ignorance and because its the only way they know how to connect with you.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Couple days ago I'm at a red light, a guy in his 80's probably pulls up along side me and yells "YOU'RE GOING TO DIE ON THAT THING". I was like , uh ok. Local paper has been running articles every week it seems about the rider death count in WNY. About 25 so far, which is really F'd up.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:51 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Tell them about the latest fatel car accident that was in the local news. Something like one where the dummass was texting on the phone while driving and hit a tree.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:11 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Tell them about the latest fatel car accident that was in the local news. Something like one where the dummass was texting on the phone while driving and hit a tree.
Exactly!

Old 07-05-2010, 12:19 PM
coiledup
Tourer

Were all going to die sooner or later, at least I'm going out doing what I love and not worrying about what it is that's going to kill me. Oh and Artz your avatar has given me nightmares. That would be one way I would hate to die.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:21 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Tell these people that most of the accidents are caused by drivers thinking about motorcycle accidents.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:23 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Low_Wider
Been riding for many years and thankfully never had the misfortune of an accident. My wife doesn't ride, has no interest but puts up with it because she knows I enjoy it so much. She worries probably a bit too much each time I go out for a ride.
So why does it seem that every time when you're in a conversation with someone (usually a non-rider) and it comes up that you're a rider they go on to tell every story they've heard about someone getting killed or seriously injured on a bike! Just what my wife does not need to hear and all it does is make her fret that much the more.

Why do people do that? Do they think we don't know the risks of the sport and it's their duty to educate us? I've gotten to the point that when I hear it starting down that path I rudely interrupt them and change the subject.

Sorry for the vent guys, just happened again yesterday in church, just think people should be more considerate.......
Because they are trying to push their view of how unsafe riding is on you, thinking they will somehow change your mind.

You could debate them on the fact that most motorcycle accidents are caused by automobile drivers and you should try to convince them how dangerous cars are to motorcycles. lol

Quick Reply: I HATE it when people say this........