General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Type of Motorcycle Jacket you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:07 PM
askfaport
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Type of Motorcycle Jacket you prefer?

Everyone have their own choice for wearing but I have a question that what type of motorcycle jacket you like most. A combination of Safety, Style and fitting makes a jacket perfect. Give me your ideas that what should be a Jacket have?

Old 07-04-2010, 01:20 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

For cool weather wearing my Fox Creek leather but for carring on a summer trip I take a cheap textile because of it's light weight,folds smaller and waterproofing

Old 07-04-2010, 01:42 PM
qwest
Cruiser

I'm happy with my jacket. I think it looks ok. It fits well and has proven to be durable as this is the 3rd season I've used it.

My all black Joe Rocket Alter Ego has a zip out rain liner and a external zip off panel. Without the panel it's a armoured mesh jacket - very comfortable in temperatures up to 95 degrees or so. As long as you're moving it has great air flow. With the panel installed and covering up the mesh it's good down to about 35 degrees.

It's very handy for long trips. I don't have to worry about packing extra gear or whether I'm going to be warm enough.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:50 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by askfaport
Everyone have their own choice for wearing but I have a question that what type of motorcycle jacket you like most. A combination of Safety, Style and fitting makes a jacket perfect. Give me your ideas that what should be a Jacket have?
1) Comfortable, not just wearable, in all weather and temperatures. 90F to 32F

2) Protective with good armor in shoulders, elbow and back and good abrasion resistance. I find cheaper textile gear is lacking in abrasion resistance.

My choice was an Olympia X-Moto jacket. I was not cheap but is the most comfortable jacket I've owned in hot and cold weather and has protection better than an unpadded leather jacket and close to an armored leather jacket on the street. It flows air like a mesh jacket, is water proof, and should be good to 32F.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO23VAQlZ90

Old 07-04-2010, 01:54 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been wearing a police style leather jacket in heavy cow hide for the past 6 years. Made in the USA. I picked it up at San Diego Leather. I have had the zipper replaced with a heavy duty one but it's been a great jacket.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:55 PM
jeffc68
Tourer

I have the HD 3 - 1 Mesh Jacket.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Ghosty
Tourer

I prefer the looks and style of leather but I wear Joe Rocket textile. Why? Because I don't bounce as well as I used to.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:20 PM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain

I have the FXRG midweight for winter riding and a 3-1 Mesh for all the rest. My 3-1 has a Waterproof Hoddie that I normally have packed away. It's really nice for chilly nights

Old 07-04-2010, 02:26 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior

I have a mesh HD jacket for cooler weather. Has the lightweight padding. I don't like riding without my arms being covered both for sun and in case of a fall. I also have a bigass TourMaster with padding everywhere as well. Really warm and waterproof. But my favorite is my new Fox Creek Bomber Jacket. It has pockets for armor but I haven't gotten any yet. It is the nicest leather jacket I have ever owned or seen. I've had it about a month and I wear it even when it's too hot 'cause I'm stylin'.
Not too get too far off topic but does anyone know where to get good armor? The stuff Fox Creek offers is way too heavy and bulky.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:36 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 with CE armor in the shoulders and elbows. It has a backpad which can be switched out for a CE back protector. It's very comfortable and stays cool in 95+ temps, provided you stay moving. With the zip out liner it's a viable three season jacket. Still need a good piece of leather for the winter.

Last edited by inswva; 07-04-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: What Type of Motorcycle Jacket you prefer?