General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windvest , are they worth the money ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:21 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default windvest , are they worth the money ??

how can something so small cost so much lol ?? Is it worth it ?? not looking for a full size shield, this would be going on a low sitting 94 FXR that my 5'7 wife rides so am looking at the sportshield kinda shields. Is 14 and 16 inches the only choice ??

memphis shades has a del rio that I am also looking at , any opinions on memphis shades ??

Old 07-04-2010, 10:29 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I prefer small style shields like those. I've never had a wv (would love to though), couldn't afford one. All I've ever read in here about them are positives.
I've had a National Cycles Tombstone. Good little sheild. My thread about it is here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...my-review.html

Last edited by schumacher; 07-04-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the look of the Windvest and the hardware looks very well done.
They don't make them for the Rocker stock bars or I'd have tried one out.
Saw a booth at the 2010 River Run and would have purchased one from these guys, http://www.coolwindshields.com/ .

Old 07-04-2010, 11:43 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I can't see how it can do much and don't see how it can be worth the bucks....I bought one of HD's compact wind deflectors for my Road King. I hated it. Too much wind. I ended up ordering another piece of Lexan 4 inches wider and two inches taller from National Cycle to replace the stock piece. Much better now, especially at interstate speeds.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:02 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had one on my 2004 Deuce since 2007. Did not even consider one of the HD windshields, Just too big and fugly. I have over 28,000 miles on the bike (two trips to Sturgis from NW Louisiana, 105th in Milwaukee and numerous other long distance rides) and the Wind Vest was the first and best investment I purchased, with the Iso grips and Heel rests coming in 2nd and 3rd.. The shield is very thick and will take the hits. Mine still looks like new with only one tiny nick from a stone. Stops 99% of the bugs from hitting my helmet face shield and most of the rain. I have it adjusted so the airflow is about 1/2" above my helmet. No buffeting unless wind comes from the side. I highly recommend the Wind Vest. I bought mine over Ebay right after I purchased the bike in '07 and it has never been off. In my opinion, it looks good on the bike and really doesn't detract from the graceful lines of the Deuce. Leaving for Sturgis 70th at the end of this month and the Wind Vest will remain attached to my slammer handle bars. It is 14" tinted model with 1.25" brackets to fit my 1.25" slammer bars.

Last edited by snakeinthegrass; 07-05-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:41 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Luv mine they make a 10in Now , Mine was 14 , cut it down to 12

Old 07-04-2010, 02:07 PM
yellowpearlfb
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the third year w/mine. I really like it. I wasn't too sure when I purchased it but after a few days I liked it. IMO you really don't notice it. (I have a clear one) It actually took the crew I ride w/a few rides to even notice it. As, Kowan mentioned the hardware is very well done.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:06 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

I would say YES...I dumped my HD detachable for a windvest for my 2010 FXD. much better in every way. Call the company and talk to the sales guy/owner. They have a money back if not satisfied policy. They know their stuff. I have the 14 inch shield. It is excellent. Yes it is worth the money.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

I've been wondering about these myself. I rode 230 miles yesterday and my HD quick detach shield is really plastered with bugs as is the front of my air cleaner, forks, etc. Have a few bug splats on my helmet but didn't get any in the face. With a tail wind there is virtually no head buffeting and with a head wind or side there is some but not much. Will the wind vest do an equally good job keeping me bug free and head buffet free?

Old 07-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only use the windvest for weekend trips and cold weather riding, but love it. Before buying it, I had borrowed a HD detachable windshield, and prefer the Windvest. No buffeting once it's set up right. I'm sure it adds at least an hour a day of riding time when using it.

However, a buddy bought one on my advice for his Dyna with 16" apes and hated it.

Take a look on ebay. There are usually quite a few that are listed for metric bikes that will fit a Harley. Get the part number, and cross reference on the Windvest site. Or, just get them to measure the clamps, and check if they'll fit your bike.

Typically, the ones for metrics go around 1/2 the price of Windvests advertised for Harleys... I think mine came off a Yamaha.

Quick Reply: windvest , are they worth the money ??