Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hayabusa to Dyna 1st 100 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:56 PM
jellyrug
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hayabusa to Dyna 1st 100 miles

Noob here, took delivery today of a 2010 Dyna Superglide. The wifey and I spent the whole day riding and visiting, in short we had a blast.

Lots of questions though:

Best Harley helmet?

Riding with beany helmets (half helmet) and riding glasses, 70mph feels like 165mph on my Hayabusa and the wind noise is quite someting. I'm not a windshield person, like the nakid bike look of a Harley. So the question is, what is the best Harley helmet???

Lots of clearance in the throttle tube?

First I thought something was loose in the front end, then I realized I only feel it in the right hand and it is actually the throttle tube that clatters when riding some rough pavement. Any solution here, or after market goodies?

No helmet lock on this bike, just want to make sure I did not miss it?

I know most Harley riders don't wear protective gear of even helmets. In NC helmets are required. Do any of you bother with protective gear? Today we wore jeans with knee protectors and kevlar and leather jackets with back, elbow and shoulder protection today. What do most riders do?

Finally, I thought I would just mention that there is no comparison between a Harley and a Hayabusa, two totally different bikes with different purposes and fun in their own way. My wife riding as passenger loves the Harley much more and I can see myself staying out of trouble by riding this bike more than the Busa. This is my first Harley.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:04 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 477 Posts

Welcome to the "darkside", LOL. It'll continue to grow on ya!

I generally don't wear a helmet, but have a non-DOT beanie to cover my balding noggin. Do have a DOT half helmet that I modified by carving on the styrofoam so it'd sit lower and not catch so much air.

Other protective gear? I always wear boots. Other than that it's jeans, t-shirt, and my cut during the summer.

Never noticed the throttle on the Nightster being loose or sloppy, and my Sloptail has a custom internal throttle. If it's that sloppy, have your dealer check it out. or at least wander by a couple showroom bikes and see if they feel loosey-goosey!

Old 07-03-2010, 09:08 PM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

Welcome to the forum & congrats on the new Bike. Have fun here,Ride safe

Old 07-03-2010, 09:15 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 823 Likes on 478 Posts

protective gear = assless chaps , fingerless gloves , sleeveless vests (oh wait , a vest is sleeveless by definition !) . the vest should be covered by various patches from Harley Davidson and on the back should be a 1% patch and a big winged skull patch in the middle an upper rocker saying Hell's Angels and a lower rocker with the name of the state you live in

Old 07-03-2010, 09:16 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 823 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by not_so_newb
protective gear = assless chaps , fingerless gloves , sleeveless vests (oh wait , a vest is sleeveless by definition !) and big boots with spurs . the vest should be covered by various patches from Harley Davidson and on the back should be a 1% patch and a big winged skull patch in the middle an upper rocker saying Hell's Angels and a lower rocker with the name of the state you live in

hehe kidding !!!

seriously , wear whatever gear you feel comfortable in

Old 07-03-2010, 09:27 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I would get that throttle checked. Never had that problem on a Harley. Wear whatever makes you feel right. I pretty much go without "protection" except boots and gloves (usually fingerless in the summer) and eye protection. Some on this forum say they go ATGATT.

Welcome to Harley. Enjoy the ride.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:29 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hang on to that 'Busa cause you may need that rush of 170-hp on certain occasions...That addiction is not easy to break!!!

Of course, don't neglect the Dyna!!!

Old 07-03-2010, 09:31 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why worry about what everyone else wears on their Harleys? Wear what you feel comfortable wearing. You don't have to buy the uniform just because you bought the bike.

Oh, congratulations on the Dyna!

Old 07-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Compared to a busa and most other sport bikes, the throttle grip will seem kind of sloppy on a harley. You might want to get it looked at, just to be on the safe side.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:45 PM
ga guy
Cruiser

All Harley cloth are made in China.
Wear whatever you feel like wearing, not what some people do.

Quick Reply: Hayabusa to Dyna 1st 100 miles