Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hayabusa to Dyna 1st 100 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Jade Dragon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were me I would just wear what I am used to wearing and screw whatever everyone else thinks. If that is the same gear that you wear on the Busa then so be it.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:30 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome from Nawlins!!!

Old 07-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I add gear as the weather cools down. Summer in Ga. has me in steel - toed boots, jeans, vest and nov helmet with sun visor. Oh, and gloves. At least some protection if something happened.
Winter has me in the mesh jacket or leathers, patch vest, chaps, and warmer gloves. Under 50 degrees will put a face mask on and zip on the neck liner to my police half shell.
Often wish for heated grips.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Jade Dragon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rjmac53
Welcome from Nawlins!!!
Of course we know the best thing to wear is a T shirt that says "Superbowl" Champions right?

Thanks for the welcome by the way.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:09 PM
powderedtoastman
Advanced

Originally Posted by jellyrug
Noob here, took delivery today of a 2010 Dyna Superglide. The wifey and I spent the whole day riding and visiting, in short we had a blast.

Lots of questions though:

Best Harley helmet?

Riding with beany helmets (half helmet) and riding glasses, 70mph feels like 165mph on my Hayabusa and the wind noise is quite someting. I'm not a windshield person, like the nakid bike look of a Harley. So the question is, what is the best Harley helmet???

Lots of clearance in the throttle tube?

First I thought something was loose in the front end, then I realized I only feel it in the right hand and it is actually the throttle tube that clatters when riding some rough pavement. Any solution here, or after market goodies?

No helmet lock on this bike, just want to make sure I did not miss it?

I know most Harley riders don't wear protective gear of even helmets. In NC helmets are required. Do any of you bother with protective gear? Today we wore jeans with knee protectors and kevlar and leather jackets with back, elbow and shoulder protection today. What do most riders do?

Finally, I thought I would just mention that there is no comparison between a Harley and a Hayabusa, two totally different bikes with different purposes and fun in their own way. My wife riding as passenger loves the Harley much more and I can see myself staying out of trouble by riding this bike more than the Busa. This is my first Harley.

I was iin the same boat, came off sportbikes. I live in Ca and have to wear a helmet , but I wouldn't ride w/o one anyway ! I have my full face Shoei that I wear. I just can't do the brain bucket thing ! Wear what makes you feel safe. Like they say "dress for the crash , not the ride"

Rich

Old 07-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I kinda wonder if you could just drill a hole somewhere on a non-critical member of the frame and put a small padlock thru it for a cheap helmet lock?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Evil Stepdad
Road Captain

No reason you can't wear a full face helmet on your Harley if that's what you're comfortable with. I don't like having a windshield on my Fatbob either, and at freeway speeds, my FF is just more comfortable to me. I save my beanie for riding around town.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior

Boots: Always. Have 4 helmets but usually wear my carbon polo. Jacket: Always. Mesh (HD) w/armor to textile (Tourmaster) w/armor and my new Fox Creek bomber that I'm looking (maybe) to put armor in. I kinda like logo-less stuff. I used to wear HD T-shirts more when I didn't have a bike. Now, the Harley pretty much speaks for itself.
Eyewear: I have some fancy schmancy prescription wrap-arounds that I paid way too much for before I knew better but they work great with the foam on the edges. They also have transition lenses which are great.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:28 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jellyrug
Noob here, took delivery today of a 2010 Dyna Superglide. The wifey and I spent the whole day riding and visiting, in short we had a blast.

Lots of questions though:

Best Harley helmet?

Riding with beany helmets (half helmet) and riding glasses, 70mph feels like 165mph on my Hayabusa and the wind noise is quite someting. I'm not a windshield person, like the nakid bike look of a Harley. So the question is, what is the best Harley helmet???

Lots of clearance in the throttle tube?

First I thought something was loose in the front end, then I realized I only feel it in the right hand and it is actually the throttle tube that clatters when riding some rough pavement. Any solution here, or after market goodies?

No helmet lock on this bike, just want to make sure I did not miss it?

I know most Harley riders don't wear protective gear of even helmets. In NC helmets are required. Do any of you bother with protective gear? Today we wore jeans with knee protectors and kevlar and leather jackets with back, elbow and shoulder protection today. What do most riders do?

Finally, I thought I would just mention that there is no comparison between a Harley and a Hayabusa, two totally different bikes with different purposes and fun in their own way. My wife riding as passenger loves the Harley much more and I can see myself staying out of trouble by riding this bike more than the Busa. This is my first Harley.
Welcome to the darkside.

I live about 45-60min south of Pinehurst across the stateline. I've ridden that way several times since finding Sandhills HD.

For me, I don't view helmets as the sportbike guys do with spending $400+ on a helmet. I don't wear one when riding in SC. Best is subjective. If you have a helmet that you prefer but it may be brightly colored as sportbike helmets usually are...get it painted the only color. Black.

Don't kid yourself. You can just as easily get a speeding ticket on your Harley as you could with your previous ride. Riding back from Wilmington the other day, I was riding in excess of 90mph for a long time. 100mph is a little scary on my wide glide so I don't generally push it to that point.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:43 AM
red1100cc
Advanced

he he, i went from my 91 dyna to an 07 Hayabusa. needed something to ride while i replaced a dropped valve. so i ride my Busa in my Harley leathers. maybe you should ride your Harley in your Busa Leathers, and to heck with what anyone thinks.
i don't care if i look funny, as long as i feel safe.
lol see ya back on the org..

Quick Reply: Hayabusa to Dyna 1st 100 miles