General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hayabusa to Dyna 1st 100 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 11:16 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

never rode a bussa, had the opp. just didn't want to.
Helmets, we don't have to wear one and we usually don't.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:21 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Congrats. With two up I assume that you have the Super Glide Custom. I just had my 2010 SG in for the 1K service.

If you want to get a little more out of the bike without spending a lot of dollars.

First pull of the slip on mufflers and gut the cats in each on. Then get the SE stage I air breather from and online dealer offering 20% off. Don't go for the HD tunes as they are pricey and still too lean as HD has to maintain EPA specs. Get a Cobra Fi2000r programmer. They retail for $280 but J&P Cycles has them on sale periodically for 10% off and free shipping.

It is plug and play no dino expense. Just plug in to the injectors and the O2 sensors and a ground wire.

With the converter dug out just drill out the baffle and it will be as good as any aftermarket system. That saves about $500

So with the opened up exhaust, Stage I breather and the Cobra programmer you will have spent about $400 instead of the full stage I at the Dealer for about $1K to $1.2K.

It will not come close to the Busa, but you will find that that SG has come alive. Unless you are very heavy ,you should see low 12's in the 1/4.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:46 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Dub
Trust me, my first ride on the busa was from Vegas (where I bought it) to Salt Lake. This thing has so much power in reserve, it's amazing some lib hasn't had it outlawed yet. Rolling burn-outs in second gear at 65MPH are not a problem with them. I have seen Busa's that were turbo'd, juiced, and supercharged. I don't understand why anyone would want a bike that will do 187 MPH. That is what a stock busa is GOVERNED at. Mine had a BMC race filter, dual Yoshi pipes, and PCIII. It was tuned and ready to go. I never lost a race, be it car or bike.
At the local dirt drags there are some "cowboys" who like to run their gasoline 'Busa's in the H-D fuel class just for effect....While it's all about fun, it grinds on my nerves that a gasoline 'Busa has way more HP than a fuel IH Sporty...

But back to reality, the 'Busa jockeys spend no money and the IH Sporty racers are dedicated....

My philospohy is...It doesn't take money nor much brains to go fast on a I-4...It takes lots of money, brains, time and dedication to go fast on an H-D...

That is the real dividing line between the two camps!!!

A chimpanzee can be sent into orbit with ease...A chimpanzee can't build a fast H-D drag bike....Another dividing line!!!

Old 07-04-2010, 05:38 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

To get rid of that wind noise, just try and 3/4 or full face helmet that fits well and ya like the looks of. If you want to stick with a shorty helmet, try a pair of the roll up, foam ear plugs.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:00 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't wear the Harley costume just an Nolan modular helmet, Olympic Air jacket, black mesh pants, Gloves that fit the season and my boots. Around the pan handle mesh is a must due to the heat but that's what I like to wear when riding your mileage may vary.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:25 AM
83 fxdg 90
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my riding gear is what i put on in morning. if cool out i grab a jacket and gloves

Old 07-04-2010, 07:33 AM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome. I came from DS and sport bikes too, and the Harley is just a more laid way to get from A to B. I wore a half helmet for a year, but at highway speeds it just doesn't provide enough protection. I keep a few halfs, a 3/4, a full, and a windshield in the garage, and gear up according to what kind of ride I am going to do. When it's cold I wear leather jacket, gloves and chaps. When it's hot, I wear whatever I'm wearing that day, but I usually almost wear boots. This morning we're headed out for breakfast and I am wearing Liberty overalls and a t-shirt. If I were on a sport bike headed for the mountains I'd wear some gear.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:49 AM
oneroadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ga guy
All Harley cloth are made in China.
Wear whatever you feel like wearing, not what some people do.
Not so Not so.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:15 AM
warrick
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole gear thing is just a back and forth debate and comes down to personal opinion. The pavement is not softer becuase you are on a HD, and just because you are going 60 instead of 120, doesn't mean the pavement won't grind you up.

I am all for the choice of the rider. I live in a no-helmet law state and have only had my bike about a year. The first season, I wore a bandana, sunglasses, boots and gloves (it was comfortable). As I have read more and more, the realization is this. It's nice not wearing all that crap and being free in the wind, but what will be going through your mind when\if the unfortunate does occur (damn, I wish I had some gear on).

I have spent some time finding a happy median. I now own a 3/4 DOT for cruising around and a high end FF for highway riding (if you go cheap on a FF, you will hate it) Bell Star is very nice. I still wear boots, found a decent glove upgrade with kevlar knuckle protectors, but still nice in the heat (Fox Bombers). Alpinestars makes a new riding hoody with light armor in the shoulders and elbows and some compression shorts with pads in the hips, tailbone and thigh area that work nice under baggy jeans.

I definitely wear more gear now than last year, and have not really sacrificed too much comfort. I know I am not wearing a leather race suit with bio-armor, but that would suck all the fun out of it. I have a level of protection that satisfies me, and that is all that matters. I know if I go down, it will suck, but it will suck a lot less than it would have last year.

Live and Learn, keep the rubber side down.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:18 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

they don't come with a helmet lock, but you can pick one up for 20-30 bucks that will mount to the downtubes

Quick Reply: Hayabusa to Dyna 1st 100 miles