General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet enforcement in Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:18 PM
ceesfan
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet enforcement in Canada?

A buddy and I are heading into Quebec tomorrow and was curious about how strict the Police and Border Agents are regarding novelty helmets. We live in MA which has a helmet law but like most other states, the police don't hassle us about novelty helmets vs DOT helmets. And please, resist the urge to tell me that I'm an idiot for not wearing a 'real' helmet....I'm a big boy and I make my own choices.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:41 PM
hogginit
Road Captain

I hear that the jails in Quebec are not actually as bad as they are rumoured to be.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Red9
Road Captain

I think the only way you may get into trouble is if you are pulled over for speeding or something. Otherwise you're just another motorcyclist passing by...
We are supposed to wear DOT helmets here too but...
I wouldn't worry about it. Last I heard there were $2,000,000,000 (2 billion) in outstanding fines here in Canada from our United Statian brothers. We don't collect on the spot like you guys do so...just go on home afterwards and forget aabout it! lol

Lee

Old 07-03-2010, 08:59 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if ya can pick up a DOT sticker from ebay or the likes, other then that i can onyl tell you that the cops around here wotn bother me with a novelty helmet on, they are usualy jus thapppy i put one on LOL. hell where i am if i am just runnign to the store or to my moms i just bring it along and turn my ball cap backwards

Old 07-03-2010, 10:53 PM
BigLowRider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Border agents don't care - they don't enforce the Highway Traffic Act except for drunk driving.

If a cop pulls you over for an infraction they will probably take a quick look to make sure your helmet is DOT. I don't know what the fine is for non-DOT but the fine will probably be rather meaningless compared to the hassle of not being able to ride until you get a DOT helmet on your head.

BigLow

Old 07-03-2010, 11:25 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Be more concerned about speeding. 50km over the limit can get you're bike confiscated and crushed.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:29 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your not a idiot just scentless

Old 07-03-2010, 11:40 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ceesfan
A buddy and I are heading into Quebec tomorrow and was curious about how strict the Police and Border Agents are regarding novelty helmets. We live in MA which has a helmet law but like most other states, the police don't hassle us about novelty helmets vs DOT helmets. And please, resist the urge to tell me that I'm an idiot for not wearing a 'real' helmet....I'm a big boy and I make my own choices.
are you coming to Canada or are you coming to Quebec?...depending on who you talk to they are quite different on if you speak French or English...some consider Quebec a part of Canada while others do not.

for the most part cops don't seem to hassle you if you're low key but there are always those few who have agendas..

right now the law is written for BC as "a helmet consists of a hard out shell, a soft inner lining and a chin strap"....this "proposed" new law they're looking at is only in it's 3rd reading and has not been passed yet.

In other Province's, I hear, the law is a little different.

enjoy your trip

Old 07-04-2010, 01:12 AM
crapgame
Cruiser

its $120 for non dot. there out to get us starting tue acording to the leo we talked to today. also going to b looking for baffles. forget the stickers . has to be labeled in the helmet also. they won't let you ride without dot you'll have to walk to the nearest dealer if you don't have a buddy with a way there. good luck.

Last edited by crapgame; 07-04-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:13 AM
eliems
Cruiser

As long as the sticker in the Helmet, "For decorative purposes only" is IN FRENCH you'll be OK.

Quick Reply: Helmet enforcement in Canada?