General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet enforcement in Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Rottiman
Road Captain
Location: Ontario, Canada home of the TAX YOU TO DEATH LIBERALS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Be more concerned about speeding. 50km over the limit can get you're bike confiscated and crushed.
Here in Ontario 50km over will get you a street racing charge (BIG $$$ fine). Scoot leaves the scene via wrecker and is impounded for 14 days. You get to walk to where ever. Helmet wise you not only need a DOT sticker (sticky on type dosen't count) but the manufactures cert label with date of manufacture has to be sewn on the inside. This is straight from the Hi-way Traffic Act- Ontario.
Most of the time they leave you alone on the helmets with the exception of the OPP (Provincial Police) who have a % of helmet ****'s.

Forget colors, they jump all over you with those.

Don't act like a A_ _Hole and they tend to leave you alone.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:26 AM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In BC you must ware a DOT approved helmet as of June 2010.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:14 AM
KnightWRX
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Be more concerned about speeding. 50km over the limit can get you're bike confiscated and crushed.
They don't crush vehicules and it's not 50 km/h over the limit. It varies between 40 km/h and 60 km/h depending on the posted limit. Vehicule is impounded for 7 days and your drivers license is suspended. Don't know how it applies to foreigners as the provincial and municipal police don't have authority to suspend your license granted outside of Quebec. So much missinformation in this thread...

In Quebec, the ticket for a helmet is 154$, including all fees. Plus you can't leave the scene without a DOT helmet. You will get towed if you can't get one and you are parked in an area where you can't stop. If you're fine leaving the bike there and walking to a store to buy a helmet, that's your call.

They are strict, but usually don't stop people for helmets. They will check helmets systematically though when they do stop you. Loud pipes is an automatic stop especially if you plan on stopping in Montreal so make sure you're using some kind of quieter baffles.

As for the question of you being a big boy, I'd just recommend leaving your novelty at home. Not for safety purpose, it's your head, so whatever with it, but just to not get into trouble. Everyone wears DOT helmets in Quebec, so if you're afraid of how it looks, don't worry, everyone looks as ridiculous here so it's not an issue.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:39 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good answere i don`t know why someone would drive to another country, knowing he could get into trouble just because he worried about bubble head, i live close to the vancouver border i am in wa, and i won`t even ride my bike over there, why chance it

Old 07-04-2010, 01:09 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been riding around Ontario, mostly Toronto for more than a year. No issues at all. Wear a DOT helmet, dont ride like and idiot and you'll be fine. First of all you'd have to see a cop. Not alot of presence, must be all those camera's
Dont get me wrong, I see cops once in a while, but not like in some areas of the states.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:02 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by WRAITH
In BC you must ware a DOT approved helmet as of June 2010.
says who.....last I checked that law was in it's 3rd reading....it has NOT been passed yet. apparently BCCOM is fighting it in court.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:43 AM
BlueNoser
Tourer

I live in Nova Scotia and travel through Quebec quite often, don't let the French thing bother you. It can be fun trying to talk, order food etc., if you try and are not an a**hole about it the locals will treat you with a lot of respect, most problems come with someone giving attitude about the language.Also in Montreal you would be better off knowing Arabic or Japanese anyway LOL

As for the Helmet, Quebec actually has a list of ACCEPTABLE helmets they do not care about DOT or SNELL. They have brand names which are acceptable (this has created some controversy). If you stick to a name brand with DOT you will be okay. Also novelty helmets with DOT stickers are a joke and an insult to their intelligence.

Get a good helmet, wear it whlie you're there and enjoy your trip. it is a beautiful province.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 AM
ceesfan
Stage IV
Default ...and the answer is....

Thanks for all the replies, serious and comical. We had no problems at all. The border guards as mentioned by one of the posters don't care about such stuff and we drew no attention from the actual police. We had one highway cop ride beside us for a couple miles (kms) just outside of Montreal and he drove away after eyeballing us for a minute. My bike is pretty loud and I thought that is what he was contemplating but in the end he just drove away.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:49 AM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by KnightWRX
They don't crush vehicules and it's not 50 km/h over the limit. It varies between 40 km/h and 60 km/h depending on the posted limit.
Hmmmm, I wonder why these 2 cars were crushed in Ontario then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWkVmt9lIB8

Old 07-08-2010, 10:54 AM
KnightWRX
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ngoti8tor
Hmmmm, I wonder why these 2 cars were crushed in Ontario then?
Since when is Ontario Quebec ? 2 different provinces my friend. I don't give a flying hoot about what they do in Ontario.

This thread is about Quebec. Here we don't crush cars.

Originally Posted by BlueNoser
As for the Helmet, Quebec actually has a list of ACCEPTABLE helmets they do not care about DOT or SNELL. They have brand names which are acceptable (this has created some controversy). If you stick to a name brand with DOT you will be okay. Also novelty helmets with DOT stickers are a joke and an insult to their intelligence.
First I've heard about this. In fact, the SAAQ (Societe de l'assurance Automobile du Quebec) claim the opposite on their info page about helmets :

http://www.saaq.qc.ca/en/accident_pr...lmets/what.php

Motorcycles, Mopeds, Motorized Scooters and Off-Road Vehicles
If you are operating or are a passenger on one of these vehicles, you must wear a helmet that complies with one of the following manufacturing standards:
  • CAN-3-D230 of the Canadian Standards Association
  • DOT FMVSS 218 of the U.S. Department of Transportation
  • Specifications for Protective Headgear for Vehicular User Z90.1 of the American National Standards Institute
  • Snell Memorial Foundation
  • British Standards Institute
  • ECE Regulation 22 of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe
As long as your helmet respects one of the standards, it's A-OK. No need for specific brands and or models.

Last edited by KnightWRX; 07-08-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Helmet enforcement in Canada?