General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 Heritage Softail Classic cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be careful it dosent overheat. I hear that HD heavy duty fan oil can cause a serious burn on the legs.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:01 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,333 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Originally Posted by toastman
wtf?

harleys have motor fans?

mine must have been hard wired to the windshield wipers, and i guess the previous owner took them both off.

seriously though, they have motor fans?
Yea...the previous owner probably took it off for some additional weight savings.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:06 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

maybe he's talking about one of these

Old 07-04-2010, 09:07 AM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parade Mode

You must be stuck in Parade mode, one shift point under first gear! Put it in reverse and run in on a bike stand for 30 minutes, it should kick out and turn the fan off!

Old 07-04-2010, 09:21 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

These guys are just messing with you. Look behind the air cleaner and you'll see two tubes going to each cylinder. There is a small, but quiet high powered fan which kicks on after the engine reaches a certain temperature. Cool air is drawn in from around the air cleaner and injected into the hollow cooling fins around each combustion chamber. If the fan warning light or temperature gauge is not coming on, don't worry about it. They rarely fail.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:21 AM
trippy57
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously, I've been told from a performance stand point the by unplugging the fan relay, you can get up to 5-8 HP. Understood this means the bike will run hotter, but my indy stated it would do no harm to the engine as long as I plugged it back in for awhile after a long day of riding. My ride is pretty much stock, but when I get to playing with my bro's I've been known to pull a sleeper on them by reaching down when no one was looking, and unplugging it just before the start line.
By doing this I have been known to get the front tire up in 2nd gear, and this on a stocker!!!!

Old 07-04-2010, 09:31 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by trippy57
Seriously, I've been told from a performance stand point the by unplugging the fan relay, you can get up to 5-8 HP. Understood this means the bike will run hotter, but my indy stated it would do no harm to the engine as long as I plugged it back in for awhile after a long day of riding. My ride is pretty much stock, but when I get to playing with my bro's I've been known to pull a sleeper on them by reaching down when no one was looking, and unplugging it just before the start line.
By doing this I have been known to get the front tire up in 2nd gear, and this on a stocker!!!!
The plug has a little mark on it, and the H-D techs can tell if it's been unplugged. They may use it as an excuse to deny a warranty claim.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:05 AM
BlackRob
Tourer

I did the Stage 1 fan upgrade with K&N super blades and Rinehart air ducts. Big question is now do I need to get an Air Commander 12 or Screamin' Chicken Big Blower module?

Old 07-04-2010, 12:50 PM
stevent
Road Master

You guys realize the Police models have fans right? I can't remember if the fan on my buds FLHPI shuts off right away or if there's a relay that shuts it off though. It's his work bike so I don't usually ride with him when he's on it. I'll have to ask.

The little rubber hoses behind the air filter are not for air, they're for water by the way. The little relay inside the airbox extracts moisture from the air and circulates it past the exhaust valves to cool them, that's why we can get by running unleaded gas.....

Old 07-04-2010, 02:10 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by stevent
You guys realize the Police models have fans right? .
I might be going out on a limb here but I don't think a lot of people pay attention soon as something has "police" in it.

Quick Reply: '03 Heritage Softail Classic cooling system