General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Fat Boy warranty problems re:clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:00 PM
robremax
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Fat Boy warranty problems re:clutch

I have a 2009 fat Boy It went to Harley at 1800km for the first service. I picked it up and 120kms later on the highway the motor start racing and the bike would not go. I had bike towed to Harley they said clutch was burnt out no sigh of driver error appears to be defective parts however warranty would not cover the repair . The esp warranty said they would normally cover the repair except due to the fact that bike is under original 2 year warranty they will not. Had to pay $600 to get bike released. Any suggestions on who or how to approch Harley to try to be reimbursed would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:01 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

That don't sound right. If it was a Harley dealer and the bike is still under the 2 year warranty.

What excuse did they give you?

Old 07-01-2010, 11:16 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

$600 is crazy! Clutches & steel plates are well under $200. I can change them in an hour as I sip on beers. Did they kiss ya first or did ya just get a huge stabbing pain in your hoop?
Phone a different dealership & ask them about premature clutch failure & how warranty would deal with it but don't mention the other dealer, They might pick their side!
Ask them where you direct complaints to like Harley warranty or an official complaint department!
than go get some of your cash back!
Hatch.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:55 AM
robremax
Stage III

Originally Posted by wlbowers
That don't sound right. If it was a Harley dealer and the bike is still under the 2 year warranty.

What excuse did they give you?
The dealership toronto harley said clutches are not covered under warranty and harley deeley who is the head of harley for ontario first said they would look into it then did not cover the repair.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:00 AM
robremax
Stage III

Originally Posted by hatchetman
$600 is crazy! Clutches & steel plates are well under $200. I can change them in an hour as I sip on beers. Did they kiss ya first or did ya just get a huge stabbing pain in your hoop?
Phone a different dealership & ask them about premature clutch failure & how warranty would deal with it but don't mention the other dealer, They might pick their side!
Ask them where you direct complaints to like Harley warranty or an official complaint department!
than go get some of your cash back!
Hatch.
Thanks Hatch I have been back and forth with Harley Deeley but no luck. I will try another dealership and see what they say. The dealer that did the repair had tried to bill it to the extended warranty plan and had told them defective parts but as I said in my post due to the 2 year original warranty they won't cover anything till then as far as repairs. However they are covering $200 of the tow costs

Rob

Last edited by robremax; 07-02-2010 at 02:03 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-02-2010, 05:36 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Clutch plates are not a warranty item...They are considered as a wear item such as tires...brakes ...etc...Improper adjustment or use probably led to the failure.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:31 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by robremax
I had bike towed to Harley they said clutch was burnt out no sigh of driver error appears to be defective parts however warranty would not cover the repair .
If this is what the selling dealer said,they should be covering the repair.
Could have been because of defective parts and or the dealer set-up.
I would talk to the owner.