General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 06:38 AM
Lambo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check put this web, some good ideas here.
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/vie...1c878de0f969ed

Old 07-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Update:

Installed the staggered wheel chocks for two bikes.
Also installed E-Track down both sides and installed a 5k flush mount tie-down in the center rear.

Put some storage hooks in the front. They sell all kinds of gadgets to hang off it.

Still a work in progress

Old 07-03-2010, 10:49 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default nice

Nice convertible arrangement for one or two bikes. Simple.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Andjh123
Tourer

Might consider checking the tongue weight with only those two bikes loaded up front. With my tandem axle, just a single bike up front with nothing else behind the axle to counter the weight actually put me at about 600 lbs tongue weight. It wasn't that I was exceeding my 1/2 ton truck's receiver limit by 100 lbs that concerned me, but rather how crappy the trailer pulled behind the truck on the interstate considering I had only ~700 lbs. cargo and a tongue weight more fitting to 3,000+ lbs load. Of course if you have larger truck, weight distributing/sway, well designed trailer etc. you probably won't have any issues.

Last edited by Andjh123; 07-04-2010 at 12:07 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-04-2010, 01:11 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I staggered mine in the trailer so the weight would be better distributed around the axle when hauling both of them. You also don't have enough tie downs for me. I know someone that had one bike get loose in a trailer of five. They self destructed like a card house. I put six to eight straps per bike and I let the bikes work on their suspension. Bike in neutral and jiffy stand up. Some people do it different but I took the advice from a few guys I know that haul their race bikes a lot along with their personal bikes.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:53 AM
Tx_Rider
Tourer

Originally Posted by Andjh123
Might consider checking the tongue weight with only those two bikes loaded up front. With my tandem axle, just a single bike up front with nothing else behind the axle to counter the weight actually put me at about 600 lbs tongue weight. It wasn't that I was exceeding my 1/2 ton truck's receiver limit by 100 lbs that concerned me, but rather how crappy the trailer pulled behind the truck on the interstate considering I had only ~700 lbs. cargo and a tongue weight more fitting to 3,000+ lbs load. Of course if you have larger truck, weight distributing/sway, well designed trailer etc. you probably won't have any issues.
I'll take a look at it again, the axels are pretty far back on this trailer. The HD sits over one and the metric bike sits over both. I havent pulled yet, waiting on one more part for the tie down and the brake controller.

Quote: OldAirboater

I staggered mine in the trailer so the weight would be better distributed around the axle when hauling both of them. You also don't have enough tie downs for me. I know someone that had one bike get loose in a trailer of five. They self destructed like a card house. I put six to eight straps per bike and I let the bikes work on their suspension. Bike in neutral and jiffy stand up. Some people do it different but I took the advice from a few guys I know that haul their race bikes a lot along with their personal bikes

I agree, can't have too many tie down points. Look in the first picture (empty trailer) that has the current configuration. 5 floor anchor points and E-Track down both sides. I was going to put one more single 5k floor anchor in the front middle but decided to use one more 5 ft section of E-Track accross the front to allow for multiple anchor points.

Last edited by Tx_Rider; 07-04-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Route66rider
Tourer

Nice, the only comment I would see is for you to check the floor paint. If the floor gets wet for any reason it may tend to be slick when bring in the second bike. A bit of sand in the paint may save your bike (or your back). You may even want to think about the spray or roll on pickup bedliner stuff.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Tx_Rider
Tourer

Another Update,

Added more E-Track, a 5' section in front and a 2' section in the center. This allows for more tie-down options when hauling two bikes.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Z06John
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good keep us posted, I might have the same project going here in the near future.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:24 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

I have never trailered before but am picking up a 7 x 14 V nose with a rounded top. I ordered it with two windows in the V and two curbside. The door is a camper style with window and screen. It will have three roof vents, one reinforced for an airconditioner. The ramp door has two structural pockets so I can use it as a mini deck after the bikes are off loaded. I ordered it without interior walls so I can insulate (2" foam in top and 1 or 1.5 inches in walls) and wire it. I'll have 110 VAC along each side and in the V. Lighting will be perimeter 110 VAC and 12 VDC. I'm putting E track on the floor and a couple strips on the walls. The V will have a cabinet with frig, radio and maybe TV. There will also be at least one single or twin sized bed, something that folds up against the wall. Also had 6 inches added to height, now will be 6'6". I still 2-3 weeks before it arrives.

Now for those who just have to bad mouth those who trailer. When you are freezin your *** off wishing it was summer again, I'll be someplace where it's warm, maybe even hot. See I'm retired, so if I want to ride for a couple months in the Keys or the southwest I can. Or maybe I'll ride one area for a couple of weeks and then move to someplace else. A nice day trip for me is 300-400 miles and I'm an old guy!

Last edited by GT_RoadGlide; 07-12-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Trailer Ideas