General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

primary fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010 | 04:29 PM
2007ELECTRICGLIDE
|
Cruiser
Default primary fluid change

Can some one help me out? Never change my primary fluid what is the proper way to do this. I have a 2007 electric glide classic. do i have to take derby cover off? need help all help would be app.

Old 06-30-2010 | 04:45 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

I'll chime in before someone else makes the point that this is where a Service Manual comes in real handy. The short answer is yes, you will have to remove the 5 torx head screws to take the derby cover and gasket off. There is a small drain screw located on the edge of the primary which should be directly below the Derby cover, take off the derby cover, back out the drain screw and let the primary fluid drain for as long as it takes.

Replace the drain screw and you'll need about a qt. of primary lube, (your choice). You'll pour it in through the derby, slowly until you can see it just below the lower edge of the open derby cover, looking at the front of the clutch pack. Exact amounts of fluid, where to look on the primary, etc. are covered in the service manual which is a great reference.

Your quantities may vary, but the manual for my 2004 Road King shows a capacity of 32 oz.

I have the pages scanned and can e-mail them to you, but they're too large to attach here.

Last edited by DGlide04; 06-30-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2010 | 04:55 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

07 is a six speed it takes 42 oz in the primary I believe.

Old 06-30-2010 | 05:10 PM
Eddy1964
Advanced

A while back I saw a thread where someone suggested Dude World.com . I went there and checked it out . Excellent step by step instructions and pictures of the whole process

Old 06-30-2010 | 05:13 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Ride till the bike is hot. The fluid drains better.

Place small rag on ground beside the motorcycle. You'll see.

Bike must be level so all fluid will drain. I use my sears motorcycle jack because it's stable.

Loosen the derby cover screws. Make sure you use the right size bit if it is torx. You'll strip them if you don't. Believe you don't want to strip one.

Remove plug at the bottom of primary.

While fluid is draining remove Derby Cover. Don't loose the washers.

Put the derby cover on top of the rag to keep from scratching it up.

Cleanup face of primary, back of derby cover and gasket.

Clean Drain plug of shavings

Check o-ring on drain plug for tears, splits or crushed sections, replace if necessary

Do one of the following
Put teflon tape around drain plug threads
Put Teflon paste on threads of drain plug
Don't put anything on threads of drain plug. Trust the o-ring.

By now the draining should have stopped.

Replace drain plug and torque to specs. 14-21 ft lbs On My Heritage. Verify your torque.

Pour 32 oz of the fluid of your choice into the primary. (32 oz for my 07 Heritage verify yours)

I put a small drop of blue loctite on the end of the derby cover threads.

Install Derby cover and gasket. Put the top screw in first. Remember the washer. If you have the flat gasket hang it on the screw while you start it. If you have the o-ring gasket make sure it's in place.

Start the other screws and finger tighten all.

Alternately tighten screws to 84-108 in-Ibs following torque sequence shown below.

Oh yea. Your gonna catch it so I'll get them out of the way.
"You should have a manual."
"You should search before you post."

There your throughly chastised. Go get a beer.

Last edited by wlbowers; 06-30-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Point brought up by pine tree. Thanks
Old 06-30-2010 | 05:38 PM
Pine Tree
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by wlbowers
Ride till the bike is hot. The fluid drains better.

Place small rag on ground beside the motorcycle. You'll see.

Bike must be level so all fluid will drain. I use my sears motorcycle jack because it's stable.

Remove plug at the bottom of primary.
May I respectfully suggest that the derby cover be removed BEFORE removing the drain plug.

In the event one or more derby cover screws get butchered and can't, through traditional means, be removed, one could still ride the bike to someone that can remove the derby cover.

Old 06-30-2010 | 05:44 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Good time to check clutch adjustment while you're in the derby

Old 06-30-2010 | 05:46 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Good advice by all...definitely spring for the bike'service manual - it's your maint. friend...

Old 06-30-2010 | 06:32 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Y'all got it wrong. 07 TC96 touring takes 38oz wet or 45oz dry. Technical answer is that it should just cover the bottom of the clutch basket. If you have a stock derby cover, you can get a 17369-06 kit that will give you a derby o-ring and 3 11105 drain plug o-rings. If you have an accessory derby cover (or even stock) you can use a 25416-99C derby cover disc gasket.

Old 06-30-2010 | 06:49 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
Y'all got it wrong. 07 TC96 touring takes 38oz wet or 45oz dry. Technical answer is that it should just cover the bottom of the clutch basket. If you have a stock derby cover, you can get a 17369-06 kit that will give you a derby o-ring and 3 11105 drain plug o-rings. If you have an accessory derby cover (or even stock) you can use a 25416-99C derby cover disc gasket.
May I add, if you do a search on ‘Question? Changing Primary for the 1st time.’ and run down the list and see my two thumbnails on were the bottom of the clutch basket is. There is about a quart difference in the amount of fluid from where it should be at 32 oz and at the edge of the derby opening. Even if you have the owners’ manual most people do not realize what the arrow for the level is pointing at.

Quick Reply: primary fluid change