General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

primary fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010 | 12:03 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by wlbowers
Primary cover. What has the above quote from me to do with the primary cover?

I put the important parts in bold for you.

If you would re-read my original post. This is the information on the primary cover.

Did you go straight to the beer?

Don't git your panties in a bunch wlbowers. If I ain't mistaken, the primary drain plug screws into the primary cover. It does on my Dyna and on my Ultra. The wife's sporty is a little different and the torque you specified may be okay for that, but not on the Ultra or Dyna! I suggest that the OP look up the torque specs specifically written for his bike and take it from there. Look at the diagram you posted. The drain plug goes into the bottom of the primary cover. If you torque that little plug to the specs you put in your post, it will strip out the threads.

Old 10-25-2010 | 04:13 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by rh8234
Don't git your panties in a bunch wlbowers. If I ain't mistaken, the primary drain plug screws into the primary cover. It does on my Dyna and on my Ultra. The wife's sporty is a little different and the torque you specified may be okay for that, but not on the Ultra or Dyna! I suggest that the OP look up the torque specs specifically written for his bike and take it from there. Look at the diagram you posted. The drain plug goes into the bottom of the primary cover. If you torque that little plug to the specs you put in your post, it will strip out the threads.
Everyone should go to their service manual. And I put in my post to verify the torque on his ride.

I've been wrenching more than 50 years, long enough I can tell when the torque starts to rise. I never use the torque wrench on the small stuff.

Always check your service manual. For your model year. Then be careful. You never know if someone before you can't tell or has gotten in a hurry.

I'm not guessing on this stuff. This is the table from mine. Harley thinks it'll take it. I've never used a torque wrench on the drain plugs. I won't until I can't feel anything in my hands. Never stripped one out or had one leak either.

Ride Safe!!!

Old 10-25-2010 | 06:55 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

Glad someone is insisting on using the manual appropriate to the model. Another example, my 02 and 05 Dyna's use 26 ozs. and the drain plug is screwed in from the bottom with a particular measurement value of the plug sticking out. Granted my bikes are not like the OP's but so many models and so many variations.

Old 10-25-2010 | 07:07 PM
dyna rider
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Default Primary Oil Change

You will want to get a Torx 27 bit and not a 25. The 25 will strip the heads in a heartbeat. I wouldn't use a torque wrench either...just snug it up easy.

Old 10-25-2010 | 07:52 PM
Oldtigercub
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dyna rider
You will want to get a Torx 27 bit and not a 25. The 25 will strip the heads in a heartbeat. I wouldn't use a torque wrench either...just snug it up easy.

I can vouch for that! The first time I did mine I stripped 2 of the 5 derby cover screws. They were in tight (lock-tited, I think). I realized too late that the torx bit I was using was a size too small. Even though it fit, it wasn't a perfect fit. Ended up having to drill and use an extractor to get them out. Fortunately for me, the local Harley dealer isn't too far from where I live, and the screws were relatively cheap.

Not too costly of a lesson, but a lesson learned none the less!

Old 04-29-2011 | 11:01 PM
sr_smyth
Tourer
Question found THIS out the hard way

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
May I respectfully suggest that the derby cover be removed BEFORE removing the drain plug.

In the event one or more derby cover screws get butchered and can't, through traditional means, be removed, one could still ride the bike to someone that can remove the derby cover.
So-this may sound totally lame but bear with me. I drained the primary and lo and behold, the 7.o'clock screw head is stripped out-(a gift from the previous owner I guess). Not only that, the 2 o'clock screw is hidden behind the passenger footboard, which i cant get at becuase the Reinhardt pipe runs right in fromt of the allen head bolt holding the footboard bracket to the frame. Not having enough tools to remove everything here, or get access to the 2 o'clock screw, i now have a bike with no primary oil. Is the another way of adding oil to the primary so i can get it to my shop and do this properly?
No laughing but is it humanly possible to tip the bike over to the right and add oil through the chain inspection cover...as a temporary method only???
cheers all and thanks

Old 04-30-2011 | 12:14 AM
mikehdwg
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sr_smyth
So-this may sound totally lame but bear with me. I drained the primary and lo and behold, the 7.o'clock screw head is stripped out-(a gift from the previous owner I guess). Not only that, the 2 o'clock screw is hidden behind the passenger footboard, which i cant get at becuase the Reinhardt pipe runs right in fromt of the allen head bolt holding the footboard bracket to the frame. Not having enough tools to remove everything here, or get access to the 2 o'clock screw, i now have a bike with no primary oil. Is the another way of adding oil to the primary so i can get it to my shop and do this properly?
No laughing but is it humanly possible to tip the bike over to the right and add oil through the chain inspection cover...as a temporary method only???
cheers all and thanks
I add my primary oil threw the inspection cover all the time hardley ever remove the derby cover

Old 04-30-2011 | 07:23 AM
mariner227
Road Master

Originally Posted by mikehdwg
I add my primary oil threw the inspection cover all the time hardley ever remove the derby cover
A 2007 electra glide does not have an inspection cover. Add 38 ounces to refill.

Old 04-30-2011 | 07:58 AM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain

Also, dudeworld.com is no more.

Old 04-30-2011 | 08:08 AM
owend78
Tourer

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Devil Dog
Also, dudeworld.com is no more.
http://www.dudeworld.com.au/

Worked just fine for me. Try this link, I just was on the page.

Quick Reply: primary fluid change