General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FF helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 02:59 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightWRX
Half helmet takes care of the forehead, goggles/glasses takes care of the bug.

Man up.
Wise up,

A lot of INTELLIGENT ( not including myself) riders here use a FF,

You gave your thoughts in your first sentence, fine,

You should have left it at that,

Old 06-30-2010, 03:04 PM
hincheec
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only been riding for three years, and up until this spring wore a FF all of the time, but summers in the south are brutal, and I was tired of my head broiling in my FF HJC while sitting in traffic. I will still wear a FF all winter and in the rain, but this spring I swapped my full face for a half helmet and am so much happier for it.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Nick1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With all the "accidents/laid her down" posts Ive been reading about on here lately, it'll be full face from now on. Don't really care how it looks or how uncool I may be. May even break out the bright orange vest again. I just want to ride and do it safely.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:08 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default helmet

Originally Posted by realmccoy
well say what you want about FF helmet but I wear one and after my ride saterday I'm sure glad I had it on. on my way home from local car show something jumped up off the road and struck me in the forehead so hard it snaped my head back. then about two miles down the road avery large bug found my face shield and just about blinded me bug. guts every where if not for that FF helmet not sure how that ride would have turned out
Last helmet was FF; had it on when I went down @ 55mph on previous Harley. Now I'm wearing a 3/4 w/ flip-up shield. Would buy another FF or modular.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:12 PM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like a FF for cold weather, rain and long interstate rides. They are warmer, quiter, and offer better rain protection. But in warm sunny weather I prefer my half shell. With it I have better peripheral vision, comfort, and can hear the radio and my wife better.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:24 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Last helmet was FF; had it on when I went down @ 55mph on previous Harley. Now I'm wearing a 3/4 w/ flip-up shield. Would buy another FF or modular.
My 3/4 with flip up shield after the deer accident a year ago,

Would have been dead with the deep gouges from the gravel embedded in the tar, (Macadam road)

I wear no helmet at all, a half, 3/4, or modular, as the weather and temperature dictates,

Old 06-30-2010, 05:36 PM
ThrusterK
Cruiser

All these posts about bugs and rain.... you haven't seen bugs or rain until you ride in south Florida.... I've been hit with swarms of love bugs, big bugs that hurt (haven't found one that knocks me off the bike though)...you just suck it up and ride, it's all part of the experience... as for helmets, I don't wear one unless I get caught in a long heavy rain storm, then I'll put on my half helmet only to keep my head dry. If it's the Florida short heavy shower, I just keep riding, you'll ride through it in 10 minutes.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

As I said in other FF helmet posts...not a pretty site seeing someone's scraped off face from a m/c accident. I've worn FF helmets since 1988...and I have a bagger w/fairing. Can never be too safe...;-)

Old 07-01-2010, 04:38 PM
srshaw
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always worn full face helmets when riding Japanese bikes, but now mostly wear a 3/4 helmet with full face shield.

The only time I've properly fallen off a bike was when a stray dog ran in front of me and I hit the ground, the helmet I was wearing had the chin bar worn away as I slid across the road which makes me think I should still use a FF helmet.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:53 PM
hansman
Intermediate

I have a FF, a half and a novelty skid lid.
Don't know what I was thinking when I bought the half I don't like it.
I tried to like it but it feels heavy kind of like I have a trash can on.
Use the skid lid 97% of the time here in so cal.
That said if I were cruising in cold-rainy weather Id probably use the FF.
I don't use the "it looks cool" credo, I think it all depends on the conditions.

Quick Reply: FF helmets