General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight half helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 PM
ThinkWired
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lightweight half helmets?

I am looking for a solid DOT approved lightweight half helmet. I have heard about slimmer style carbon fiber stuff that is still DOT approved. Anyone know of a good brand? Any manufactures or stores in the Boston South area?

I would rather something slimmer and less mushroomy than a normal poly DOT helmet but the key is really something lighter and more aerodynamic so my neck doesn't get strained after a few days of straight riding.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ThinkWired; 06-29-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:10 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a DOT approved carbon polo helmet that I got at an HD dealer. I have 4 helmets and it's my helmet of choice. It's an HCI.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer

Someone else just started a thread looking for a small helmet too . As I said to them , there was another thread about this not too long ago and the general opinion seemed to be towards the Daytone brand that make a very slim DOT approved helmet .

Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 AM
ThinkWired
Advanced
Old 06-30-2010, 09:35 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Bike-R-Mike
Someone else just started a thread looking for a small helmet too . As I said to them , there was another thread about this not too long ago and the general opinion seemed to be towards the Daytone brand that make a very slim DOT approved helmet .

+1

yep, thats the one. I have that one and love it! However for me I measured my head and their chart suggested medium, but the medium was a touch too big so I got the small which fits perfectly.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:38 AM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the HD hybrid helmets, light weight, moisture wicking inside, doesn't look horrible and most HD dealers have them in stock.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 AM
ThinkWired
Advanced

Junior,

Did you find it to have a lower profile than a regular dot poly helmet? Or is it just lighter?

Rum,

This one? http://www.stpaulharley.com/Mens-Ult...98334-09vm.htm They say its 17% lighter... that doesn't seem like a huge gain. DOn't get me wrong, its a gain but it doesnt seem like it would feel like night and day.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:01 AM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ThinkWired
Rum,

This one? http://www.stpaulharley.com/Mens-Ult...98334-09vm.htm They say its 17% lighter... that doesn't seem like a huge gain. DOn't get me wrong, its a gain but it doesnt seem like it would feel like night and day.
This is the helmet, same specs, just different design. http://www.hmhd.com/webstore/viewite...iewprodclothes

I know the specs show just a small weight difference, but because of the interior design it feels a lot lighter. And of course my last helmet was much older, so it may have been heavier than what they are comparing it to.

Overall, I like it, keeps me cooler than others I have tried, and doesn't feel big or heavy.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:05 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ThinkWired
Junior,

Did you find it to have a lower profile than a regular dot poly helmet? Or is it just lighter?

Rum,

I have quite a few helmets. Unfortunately it took me a while to find one that i really ilked. I have an HCI, HD, Vega, and an ACC. The ACC was my helmet of choice before the recall. It was not much bigger than a novelty helmet.

The Daytona is very low profile, and only sits about 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher than the ACC. The diference between Daytona (and Vega) and most of the other helmets; is that they have a different shell size for nearly every size helmet that they sell. So they minimize the padding they have to use. This is unlike Harley and some other helmets i have tried and even bought. HD has one or two size shells and just changes the thickness of teh padding.

Daytoan and Vega are by far the best DOT half helmets i have tried. The Vega is designed for oblonge shaped heads, and is not quite as low profile as Daytona, but it is very close.

Last edited by junior07; 06-30-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:10 AM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the helmet I just bought about a month ago (HCI-100 matte black). It is way lighter and less shroomie than my previous HJC(?). I was actully researching helmets when the ACC recall came out, glad I procrastinated a bit.

http://www.motorcycle-helmets.com/HCI-Helmets-s/18.htm

Quick Reply: Lightweight half helmets?