General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running at high elevations

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:13 AM
dan61t
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running at high elevations

Just completed riding from Michigan to Los Angels and what an amazing ride. Crossing the Rocky Mountains was a little bit of a challenge due to the elevation. Bike really struggled at times above 7000 feet needed to keep it higher in revs. Anyone have ideas, thoughts, or suggestions to help the performance on the trip back? The bike is a 2001 Sportster 1200 Custom this was my first time over the mountains on a bike so maybe it just is what it is, but if there is a way to get better performance shy of re-jetting the carb, well just looking for ideas.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:24 AM
nwbikerid
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's just running rich at higher altitudes, don't worry about it since you don't do most of your riding at higher altitudes. I see the same type of issues with my fatboy when going over 8000+ mountain passes, it clears right up as I go back down.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:26 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

don't know of anything, have heard the FI's bikes due better though.
have U tried doing a search on it, as I've seen other threads on it..

Old 06-29-2010, 12:17 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last time we made a trip into the mountains our mileage actually went up which was contrary to what I expected. I would have thought that I mis-figured it till someone else commented on how they were getting more miles to the tank also. Never cared enough to try to reason out the mileage change compared to altitude--- just an observation. I myself would not mess with my tuning since mountain riding doesn't appear to be your norm.

Last edited by oldairboater; 06-29-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:29 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Totally stock bikes have more problems at high elevation than modified ones. If you don't already have free-flowing air cleaner and exhaust, those modifications seem to help. If you have a "kit" in your carb those tend to make the bike disastrously rich even at sea level.
By the way, congratulations on using the correct term, "elevation". Planes fly at high altitude, bikes ride on elevated land.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:07 PM
will227457
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FI will adjust for the altitude...carb bikes will not

Old 06-29-2010, 03:09 PM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dan61t
Just completed riding from Michigan to Los Angels and what an amazing ride. Crossing the Rocky Mountains was a little bit of a challenge due to the elevation. Bike really struggled at times above 7000 feet needed to keep it higher in revs. Anyone have ideas, thoughts, or suggestions to help the performance on the trip back? The bike is a 2001 Sportster 1200 Custom this was my first time over the mountains on a bike so maybe it just is what it is, but if there is a way to get better performance shy of re-jetting the carb, well just looking for ideas.
Ain't nuthin you can do. If you're running the CVO carb, it's doing everything it can to deal with the elevation. Good thing is you get great mileage up in the altitude. I just got back from 6 days in the high Sierra. I'll give up a little performance for the mountains any day of the week! Oh yaa, the German Browns were a jumpin!

Old 06-29-2010, 03:11 PM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by will227457
FI will adjust for the altitude...carb bikes will not
CVO carbs adjust. You get less fuel because there's less velocity. That's why the mileage goes up.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:36 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Congrats on making that trip on a Sporty! *** sore?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:09 PM
dan61t
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mp
Totally stock bikes have more problems at high elevation than modified ones. If you don't already have free-flowing air cleaner and exhaust, those modifications seem to help. If you have a "kit" in your carb those tend to make the bike disastrously rich even at sea level.
By the way, congratulations on using the correct term, "elevation". Planes fly at high altitude, bikes ride on elevated land.
Yeah, it has a stage 1 Screaming Eagle mods and does run very rich under normal conditions.

Quick Reply: Running at high elevations