General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the odometer reading afect insurance claim?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:40 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts
Question Will the odometer reading afect insurance claim?

So I wrecked my bike and it has over 70k but is insured as a low miles bike. Do I need to reset some how the digita odometer as the adjuster has not seen the bike yet or will the hihg miles not efect claim covorage. Its an 07 softail with full coverage by military insurance. Just a thought?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:13 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,342 Likes on 1,518 Posts

So you want to commit fraud and looking for support for this? Take it the insurance was cheaper for the 'low milage' route? Suck it up dude...you played the game and lost.

Should have thought of it ahead of time. No sympathy or respect. You are part of the reason that insurance rates are high

Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Mileage should not affect the claim. Your insurance company may re-underwrite you and raise your premiums though.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:41 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

I can handle that. And no fraud here I have great insurance. just asking on peoples experiences.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:18 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My insurance agent asked about my "AVERAGE DAILY MILEAGE" which is about 30-35 miles a day, at 365 days a year that is 10950-12775, yeah sometimes I put more on it than that, but some days I don't even move it. Most days I just go back and forth to work 12 miles each way so I also gain there. Not knowing how long you have had the bike, the starting odometer reading, and the average mileage you told your agent you ride, I can't tell you what your outcome will be, I would "ASSUME" that unless you are way over it would not even be looked at other than used to determine if they are gonna total it, or fix it, and the value of the bike is what is used for that.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:29 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default fraud

Originally Posted by panz4ever
So you want to commit fraud and looking for support for this? Take it the insurance was cheaper for the 'low milage' route? Suck it up dude...you played the game and lost.

Should have thought of it ahead of time. No sympathy or respect. You are part of the reason that insurance rates are high
+1

Op says: "I wrecked my bike and it has over 70k but is insured as a low miles bike. Do I need to reset some how the digita odometer as the adjuster has not seen the bike yet or will the hihg miles not efect claim covorage."

OP, do you expect help here in defrauding your insurance company?

Leave the speedo trickery alone and man up.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:54 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Try running a strong magnet over the odometer

and the ECM. That may distort the readings.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:42 AM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soft 02
So I wrecked my bike and it has over 70k but is insured as a low miles bike. Do I need to reset some how the digita odometer as the adjuster has not seen the bike yet or will the hihg miles not efect claim covorage. Its an 07 softail with full coverage by military insurance. Just a thought?
What the hell is "military insurance"?

Old 06-29-2010, 05:46 AM
woodworking1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just bust the speedo too. BUT, insurance fraud is illegal and the reason why the rest of us are paying the "premiums" we do! if you are not smart enough to get around it, you deserve to get caught!

Old 06-29-2010, 07:15 AM
fevest
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the key here is what constitutes low mileage. Did you buy the bike new and then tell them you only rode a little? Or buy the bike used and only put on a few miles?
If you lied you are at the mercy of the adjuster. Hell, the adjuster may not even check mileage.

Quick Reply: Will the odometer reading afect insurance claim?