General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the odometer reading afect insurance claim?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 04:30 PM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mileage only matters if it is a total loss.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:39 PM
HillBilly73
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sgt. Fury
What the hell is "military insurance"?
I belive he is talking about USAA Insurance. They used to only insure Military and DOD folks, now that may have changed since the late 90's when I started using them, but asking someone on a forumn how to commit fraud isn't a good idea at all it's like asking someone where should I bury this body. Be honest USAA has done well with me in the past i'm sure they will take care of you as well.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:42 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

First off, I'm not disagreeing with anyone but I don't understand the reasoning.

I have a cage that I only drive in the summer for recreation. I have it insured for under 5K per year. Now, if I was driving it to work and had put 70K on it in the past 2 1/2 years and got in an accident on the way to work, how would that not void my insurance? Just doesn't seem right. If they don't care, why don't we all say our vehicles are for occasional use and get the lower rates (besides the fact that we'd be lying). There has to be some recourse to the insurance company if you say you only use it occasionally but actually use in two to three times the norm.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:14 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

No offense, But don have any kids.

Military Insurance, Fraud, Public forum.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 PM
sh57
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
First off, I'm not disagreeing with anyone but I don't understand the reasoning.

I have a cage that I only drive in the summer for recreation. I have it insured for under 5K per year. Now, if I was driving it to work and had put 70K on it in the past 2 1/2 years and got in an accident on the way to work, how would that not void my insurance? Just doesn't seem right. If they don't care, why don't we all say our vehicles are for occasional use and get the lower rates (besides the fact that we'd be lying). There has to be some recourse to the insurance company if you say you only use it occasionally but actually use in two to three times the norm.
I was speaking only as an adjuster. When I get a claim, I work it, it does not matter to me how much you were driving it, we still owe you whatever cov you have. Some companies give discounts for drivers who say only live a mile from work. They figure the chances of this person having an accident is way less than say someone who is driving 25 miles each way. If you were driving your veh in the winter and had an accident, you will be covered for your loss and I would work your claim. Now at a later date your company may come back to you and raise your rates, or could charge you for previous years at a higher rate, since they would figure you had been driving it during the winter all along.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:11 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last year I totaled my 04 E-glide. It had over 75,000 miles on it. The insurance company deducted some money from my payoff amount for the high miles. It was $600 But they still paid me $16,000 for the bike as I had a lot of money in it with extra coverage.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:23 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ya, we all know how insurance companies are our friend

Originally Posted by sh57
I adjust claims for a living. The only way the mileage is going to hurt you is on the value of your bike. When I am working a claim I could care less how much you told your agent you were going to ride. Now, if I think you have jacked around with the odo, bike or car, then we are talking a whole new ballgame. Leave the odo alone and you will be fine.
With all due respect to you SH57, I don't trust an insurance company to be on my side in the event of a claim. They are not in the business of paying claims, but in the business of charging premiums. I've never committed fraud in my life but I can certainly see why so many folks exaggerate their claims. You only need to look at our bikes to see why that would happen. Some pay $20000 to buy it and add another $6000 in add-ons and see how much an insurance company gives them when it gets either stolen or wrecked. No, I can understand the O.P for being worried. We're not paying large premiums due to fraud either. It's because of bodily injury claims and lawsuits.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:14 AM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
... We're not paying large premiums due to fraud either. It's because of bodily injury claims and lawsuits.
Don't forget bad investments, poor management & excessive executive pay.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:29 AM
sh57
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
With all due respect to you SH57, I don't trust an insurance company to be on my side in the event of a claim. They are not in the business of paying claims, but in the business of charging premiums. I've never committed fraud in my life but I can certainly see why so many folks exaggerate their claims. You only need to look at our bikes to see why that would happen. Some pay $20000 to buy it and add another $6000 in add-ons and see how much an insurance company gives them when it gets either stolen or wrecked. No, I can understand the O.P for being worried. We're not paying large premiums due to fraud either. It's because of bodily injury claims and lawsuits.
Working in my line of business, you can't have feelings that get hurt. Just like everything else there are good and bad adjusters and good and bad companies. I work with some guys that I would hate to have a claim with. With that being said, most of the people I work with try and help people when they can. Maybe I look after bikers more than I should because I am one. You are right about the bodily injury claims. Just yesterday I looked at a claimant veh that had been scraped by our inusured's mud flap on his 1 ton. I could fix the damage in thirty minutes with some compound and wax. Due to this so called heavy impact, I am now dealing with 3 people laid up in the hospital. This goes on everyday and this is where our premium dollars are going. The company I work for does not go after the motorcycle market, therefore I have cov with another company that gives me $5000 worth of cov for add ons. Take a look at what kind of cov you have. A lot of the time, my hands get tied because of the type of policy a person has and then when they have a loss they start figuring out maybe they should have done something else.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:39 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh not good, you have put pen to email and someone from insurance may see your post and put two and 70k together.
Fraud is not good my friend,if you dance with the devil expect to get your toes troden on

Reddog GB

Quick Reply: Will the odometer reading afect insurance claim?