General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to know what caused this accident?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to think that the van came out of no where and caught everyone off guard. I find it hard to believe that 3 different riders are going to hit the same van without it being a sudden obstetrical pulling out in front of you.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:53 AM
will227457
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to lazy to read the article but this is why i dont ride in groups....most fatal motorcycle accidents do not involve another vehicle it is due to the riders inexperience....I suspect that in a part of the country were they have a riding season you come across this more per capita than in say parts like CA. FYI I have nothing to back this statement up.

that said even in CA there are a hugh number of seasonal riders which kind of bothers me because if you can ride year round why wouldn't you? these guys are the biggest posers of all because they have no excuse to not ride.

nothing can replace seat time in terms of awareness of your surroundings and defensive riding, but sometimes a freak accident happens.....

Old 06-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain

I'll agree with the last statement about riding in a large group. But honestly, I ride with one bro and that's it. We've ridden well over 70 thousand miles in a little over 4 years and have yet to get into an accident. Nothing will ever replace experience and being aware of all your surroundings.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member

I don't think this accident had anything to do with being in a group other than the number of casualties. Having lost friends in a multiple fatality accident that "appears" to be similar to this one, I wouldn't try to guess what happened without more information. This much I do know, the friends I knew didn't stand a chance. They were riding in a group of six and a van crossed the center line on a two lane black top. They weren't drunk, they weren't screwing around. Three out of the six bikes were hit head on by the van, all 3 riders were killed instantly.

I also know of other incidents, two that are very recent. Both were the bikers fault. Obviously there are cases that go both ways. One was a fatality, the other fortunately was not. Both of these were also group rides. I personally have had more close calls when riding alone. People not seeing me every time. I think groups are easier to see for the most part.

I'm not really sure if going it alone is more safe than groups or not. I think the size of the group, experience level, and sobriety of the riders all play a part.

This much I know for sure. Whether you are alone or not, if some ******* crosses the center line and it's your turn, alone or in a group has little to do with the cause and the outcome. Just sayin'...

Old 06-29-2010, 11:52 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next month Pennsylvania will have a couple bike events with tens of thousand bikes on the road. I hope everybody rides safe. Watch out for those SUV's and Vans. I forgot about the horse sh-t on there roads also.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:44 PM
soundman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Street Jewell
I tend to think that the van came out of no where and caught everyone off guard. I find it hard to believe that 3 different riders are going to hit the same van without it being a sudden obstetrical pulling out in front of you.
It gets me how its automatically the cager's fault. Even when the facts aren't even known.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:30 PM
CRASH
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in PA, not too far from this crash. I'll watch for updates, but nothing so far. Something out of the ordinary happened here, just look at the damage to the van; both the front and rear are smashed.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Dutch110
Tourer

Best friends wife worked with one of the victims. So far no statement from the van driver or the surviving rider. I know that section of road very well. Heck, I rode that section of road a few hours prior to this accident. Alot of rumors and speculation flying around as to what happened. None of them worth repeating here. It's a relatively straight section of two lane road. Can't quite picture where a taxi van would be turning left on that section. Either way, some good people lost their lives and no one can figure out what happened yet.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:36 AM
eisterd
Road Captain

I'm wondering why there is a power line hanging low across the road, makes me wonder if the van saw it and swerved to avoid it and that caused the wreck.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:39 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by will227457
to lazy to read the article but this is why i dont ride in groups....most fatal motorcycle accidents do not involve another vehicle it is due to the riders inexperience....I suspect that in a part of the country were they have a riding season you come across this more per capita than in say parts like CA. FYI I have nothing to back this statement up.

that said even in CA there are a hugh number of seasonal riders which kind of bothers me because if you can ride year round why wouldn't you? these guys are the biggest posers of all because they have no excuse to not ride.

nothing can replace seat time in terms of awareness of your surroundings and defensive riding, but sometimes a freak accident happens.....
I was too lazy to read your reply, but I must assume you are an idiot for commenting on things you admit you were to lazy to read about...

Quick Reply: I want to know what caused this accident?