General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Army n' Scoots

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:17 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Fister is right... he posted the rules as simple as it gets.

I bring that up because I have been riding on 3 different commands. All Navy but one is a joint use. (More then one branch)

At my current command the DoD Cops started about last year giving lots of attention to the bike riders. So called Safety stops... Checking for gear , insurance that sort of crap. After my 3rd one of these in less then a week (making me way late btw) I had enough & went to the Admin office & requested a copy of the current Base instruction for riding on board.
I reviewed & made copies of the instruction gave copies to anyone on two wheels.

Upon my 4TH!!! so called Safe Stop. I gave the instruction to the officer & asked for his information. Now we all know the officer got pissed that I asked for his info... he got right in my face with "WHY?"
"So I can report you harassment."

If your within the base rules & know the rules then it should never be a issue with your gear or bike.
The full face seems to be a base only issue & can easily be addressed with a CO box or such.

I do wear my ICON MIL SPEC vest 90% of the time & when I don't I do have a high vis runners belt. The other gear is is just common sense
Boots , DOT Helmet (own 3 we have odd weather here), Gloves.

As to the MSF course each command is funded for these.... once death counts go down.. everyone will think its no issue & the funding will get cut slowly.

Motorcycles are only a high-Vis issue when its a slow safety day for the command.
Hence we couldn't even get a oil free parking area to conduct our MSF course. I took my command MSF course with a very very high ranking V-Rod rider only to hear him make several "you have got to be kidding me" comments about the commands chosen location & lack of facilities while out in the middle of the heat. Thankfully because I ride HD & not a rice bike (anymore) I do not have to take the advanced sport bike course. (conducted on a nice oil slick parking lot)

And I could go on & on but I have noticed one last thing... pray to God above that your MSF guy isnt anti Harley or whatever your riding....

Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same **** on the navy base one idiot ruins it for everyone

Old 06-28-2010, 09:48 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know. It is so puzzy fied.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Alibey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here at Carson, you have to take the MSF and get a temp pass good for 180 days and then have to take the experienced rider course, then you can register you ride. I took the basic and registered my Ninja and Sporty before the new rules were made. It is hard to get into the experienced rider course since it is given only on Fridays. My old supervisor is wondering how he can pass the experienced course on his Fatboy, I let him know that I have the option of using my Ninja250 or borrow my wife's TW200 for the course.

As far as helmets here, you can use 3/4 or half helmets, I chose to wear the full face. They do require one to wear the reflective vests, no more PT belts. I use the Icon milspec vest, convenient pocket for ID when going through the gate.

how are things at Sill these days? I was there 96 - 97.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:05 AM
Fister
Advanced

I’m stationed at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson we fall under Air Force Regulations, even though I’m in the Army, for the Installation. The first thing to go was the Post Decals for all vehicles and that was done at the beginning of the winter. So no one was riding their bikes, when I bought my Street Glide, I went to register the motorcycle on post. The DOD Police told me they don’t register vehicles anymore, all you need is a Valid ID to get through the gate, and you are subject to random safety checks. I asked what about the rider’s course, how you check if the rider or Service member has had the MSF course. The answer was it is now on the UNIT of the rider to verify, if they do not have the card on them during the random inspection they will be ticketed.
When the roads cleared enough to ride on post, they also got rid of the reflective vests and went with the bright colored clothing to be worn. Not a big deal in Alaska, since it is a little colder then the southern US. This lasted about a month then the installation changed policy to having riders to wear a high visibility vest.

The DOD Regulation states this on Motorcycle Training:
f. Motorcycle Operator Training (HSPG NUMBER 3). Provide entry-level rider training addressing the minimum skills necessary to begin street riding safely, and provide opportunities for renewal training (i.e., life-long learning) for motorcycle operators throughout their riding careers.
(1) Initial Training
(a) Require all military personnel who ride or intend to ride a motorcycle, regardless if the military member intends to register their vehicle on the installation, and all operators of Government-owned motorcycles to attend and complete the motorcycle rider training required in paragraph 4.f.(1)(c) of this enclosure.
(b) Absent exceptional circumstances, provide training within 30 days of requests for training. Installation commanders may authorize properly licensed or permitted operators awaiting training to ride on an installation roadway subject to any restrictions imposed by such permit.
(c) Include an appropriate Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course or DUSD(I&E) endorsed, State-approved, curriculum for motorcycle operator’s safety training. Provide certified or licensed rider coaches and include hands-on training, a riding skills evaluation, and a knowledge-based evaluation. Accept the completion card of any MSF course or DUSD(I&E)-endorsed course that includes written and riding evaluations as proof of successful completion of the required training.
(d) Civilian visitors or contracted laborers that are properly licensed to ride a motorcycle shall not be required to receive service sponsored training, or to prove that they have taken other motorcycle training in order to operate a motorcycle on a DoD installation.
(2) Refresher Training. Encourage operators to complete refresher training after 5 years of inactivity, the acquisition of a new motorcycle, or a major geographic relocation.
(3) Failure to Attend Scheduled Training. Take appropriate administrative or disciplinary actions for personnel who fail to attend scheduled training including restricting operation of the motorcycle.
On Reflective material:
Riders are encouraged to select PPE that incorporates fluorescent colors and retro-reflective material.

Well enough of this rambling on how you can feel like you’re getting screwed. As long as I’ve been in the military one thing is for certain, everyone do not know all the regulations even though you expect leaders to be making the right decisions all the time. Educate yourself, for those not aware a CO box is called ICE in the Army world.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Dragon5
Tourer

Wow! I thought I had it tough here!

For me Minimum: Helmet (1/2 is just fine), gloves, pants, boots and long sleeve shirt that is either white or some fluorescent color will be just fine in the day time, and Eyepro. At night you have to have some reflective stuff on your front and back, 12" by 12" or equivalent.

You have to have the basic riders course, and they want you to take the ERC but its not required.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:45 PM
99octane
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Combat_Soldat
Why does the army make you dress up like a damn power ranger just to ride your bike? Mandatory Items Include: Full face helmet "in a state with no hemlet laws", Reflective PT Belt, Long Sleeve shirts at ALL times even if its a 120 degrees, Full Finger Gloves, and a Mandatory MSF class "two of them" to ride... I'm just happy i live off base. And on top of that my scoot is my only ride, and i was taking my wife to work "and so i could sign out on leave" at 3am in a heavy downpour this morning and as soon as i got threw the gate on base a MP scurried off and proceded to ride my *** "to check my speed" i guess and then pulled up along side of me "to inspect that i had me and my wife had all the proper power ranger items" and then fell back to ride my *** again, well the light turned red and i start to break and this fool is still on my *** and almost HIT ME then i let off the break so i dont get hit and re brake for the light but now i dont have enough room so i break just a tad harder and get freakin sideways so i let off the rear and just say to hell with it and ran the light so i wouldnt whipe out, and then the damn MP speeds off like nothing happend! wtf is up with that...
They want to protect their investment.
And I don't remember it saying anywhere that the army is a democracy. Pretty sure it's indeed famous for, you know, not being...
You wanted to do whatever you wanted, you shouldn't have enlisted...

Old 06-29-2010, 06:29 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I assume you 'volunteered' for the Army?
DSon't know why you had to skid through a traffic light on base....what? I guess the speed limit is 25 MPH (in a 'down pour')?
Thank your young troops killing themselves on motorcycles for the military crack down. I guess they need you to fight a war or something.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:38 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,093 Likes on 351 Posts

Yeah, they definitley got us over a barrel.. Luckily, I did my time and am now a DOD civilian at Bragg. Had to do the courses, etc, etc. I had my old motorcycle card from '84, so I only had to do the ERC (experienced riders course) and that was about it.

The folks at Pope AFB, here in NC have to go through a "sportbike riders course" if your foot pegs are mounted aft og the rider....so...yet another course.

I think they're trying so hard to make it hard to ride, that most folks will say screw it I suppose.

I wear a longslevve cotton shirt, stupid safety belt, boots, pants, helmet, gloves etc, etc to get on post. But when on post doing errands or whatever I don't use any of that crap, haven't got stopped yet....maybe they know I'm retired, beard and all...who knows.

But, screwed, if they wanted me to wear a pink tuu tuu, I'd prolly do it, aint none gonna stop me from riding...

ya just gotta do, whats ya gotta do I suppose.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:52 PM
TXHog69
Cruiser

If you are stationed at Ft Sill you have much bigger problems in life than DOD bike policies. What a hell hole, spent 7 weeks there in the summer of 2006 and hope I never see it again.

Quick Reply: The Army n' Scoots