General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Army n' Scoots

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All the "Power Ranger" gear is supposed to be for your protection from Cager's(you could be wearing a big *** strobe light and it wouldn't help) and if you go down. Don't know about the full face helmet. Thats not a requirement here. As said before, really came to the forefront when soldiers started coming back from deployment, buying Crotch Rockets and testing out the top speed. I wear it when I'm on post, Luckly I live off post

Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by garymann
I am sure the ff requirement is a local policy. DoD policy is a DOT approved helmet, goggles if no visor, long sleave shirt - light colored during daylight hours, reflective material at night, pants, sturdy over the ankle boots and full fingered gloves.

Since the local post commander has some leeway on standards, other requirements I have seen include: Reflective vest or PT belt at all times, and also yearly MSF course.

The yearly MSF Requirement (I was stationed on a Marine base) had nothing to do with safety. The young marines were coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan and buying sportbikes.
The insurance was pretty high so they would drop it at some point. The yearly MSF requirement meant they had to take the course and reapply for a base sticker, providing insurance proof.

It did tick me off untill I realized they were forcing me to spend two days riding my bike instead of shuffling paper. In retrospect I think we should have to take the course every 6 months! LOL
It's a 3 year requirement here. Not sure what they're going to do about it though. The Army pays for the MSF courses here now. Our instructor said if the other branches don't start paying their share we won't be able to attend after the end of this fiscal year. Contractors won't be allowed to attend local classes either. If they don't get it sorted out we are going to have even more issues, I'm a little worried since I retire in a few years and don't plan on leaving Korea when that happens.

I did hear the other day that active duty riders are supposed to have a unit group ride quarterly during a duty day to keep us safety oriented. Hope we get some more bike riders to bring theirs over here soon, I could use another excuse to ride during a work day. I'm the alternate Squadron motorcycle safety rep and the only one in my unit right now with a bike in country.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Combat_Soldat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtySmoke
When did they start the full face helmet stuff? I ride on the same post as you do, never had an issue with wearing a ½ hat. Some of the MPs/ Govt. police do have hard-ons for bike riders.
I wasn't talking about Sill, I have a buddy in intel at Fort Huachuca AZ he said they have to wear a full face out there, so maybe it is a local thing. I wear a 1/2 myself.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Combat_Soldat
Why does the army make you dress up like a damn power ranger just to ride your bike?
Protecting their property.......they own your ***.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:24 AM
islander08
Advanced

We had a Wing Safety stand down and they briefed about all the crotch rocket kids killing themselves. They also told us two military pole smokers who are MSF Instructors are going to be teaching a base required course. The kicker is it's on your time. Hope it's free or I won't be riding on base. I already have a MSF card from when I got my state M/C endorsement.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Clip
6th Gear

When I was in the Army, you could get a General or Other-Than-Honorable discharge for riding a motorcycle.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

The base requirements here are getting out of hand IMO and as a retiree and a contractor, I have to follow them to ride on the base. I don't care to. I am no longer the property of Uncle Sam. So I will park and walk it.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by army_eod
Same reason they like you to dress up like Darth Vader in a combat zone...full protective gear...
Roger that!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:12 PM
dustineal
Cruiser

They need to protect thier investments that being you! It's not just the ARMY it's AL branches.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:32 PM
grumpygy
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLUltrarider
garymann has it right. The DoD loses so many young troops a year in bike "accidents" they went overboard on the safety gear trying to prevent at least a couple of them. The vets from SWA were coming home, a wad of cash in their pockets, and looking for some adrenaline rush to replace what they had just left, and quite a few went out, bought big metric sport bikes, with no real bike experience. The end result was a big spike in vehicle fatalities. Obviously, it's not good for unit cohesiveness to lose several guys from a squad, platoon, company, or whatever, so they decided to make it a PITA to ride anywhere near/on a base. Last year the stats actually improved on DoD motorcycle fatalities. This year though the trend is in the wrong direction, so look for more draconian regs imposed by local commanders to try and prevent you from being one of them.
Fully agree in the 90's I got a letter from the Commanding General of FSSG. I as a Motorcycle rider had to submite a suggestion to stop the deaths that were happening. This letter was sent to all SNCO's who rode.

My one and still needed is the required safety course needs to be easier to get into. NMost of the guys we lost were rding in town when they lost it. They could not ride on base yet cause they were waiting to take the course.

Last edited by grumpygy; 06-28-2010 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: The Army n' Scoots