General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunglass recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sunglass recommendations?

Did a search but can't find anything on this. What kind of sunglasses do you guys recommend? I have a pair that I thought were pretty good, great fit, etc. However -- we have a couple of tunnels around here that have old lighting inside. Driving into them is like driving around at night with your sunglasses on, not good at all. Taking them off and putting them back on is not really an option, can't do that safely. Any thoughts?

Old 06-28-2010, 12:19 AM
cjairplane
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Transition lenses might take too long to change the tint going through a tunnel. That said, I have had great experiences with Wiley X glasses. They have always treated me well. Not many tunnels in southern CA, though.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:20 AM
artz
Road Master

you want them as one item...... or how about by the dozen ?
http://www.olympiceyewear.com/

Old 06-28-2010, 12:23 AM
HillBilly73
Tourer

Originally Posted by cjairplane
Transition lenses might take too long to change the tint going through a tunnel. That said, I have had great experiences with Wiley X glasses. They have always treated me well. Not many tunnels in southern CA, though.
+1 to the Wiley-X brand. Ive been using mine for about 4yrs no issues yet. Another plus is that it comes with clear and smoke lenses to change out.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:10 AM
Devil Dog
Tourer

I like the Wiley's but after a year or two the rubber around the lenses falls apart.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:45 AM
JLOX
Tourer

Wiley-X brand here as well.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:27 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil Dog
I like the Wiley's but after a year or two the rubber around the lenses falls apart.
That's happened on every single pair of foam-fitted riding glasses I've ever had. The oils in our skin just don't treat foam nicely.

me and most of my bros use "Chicago" riding glasses. They're inexpensive, claim to be shatterproof, and work plenty good. The cost makes them easier to replace than Wiley-X glasses.

Foam-lined riding glasses really should have replaceable foam. Technically it would be if you were able to get the proper foam replacements from the manufacturer, peeled the old off, and re-applied the new stuff using an eye-safe adhesive, but that's a bit of a hassle

here's the chicago ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Gla.../dp/B00289UU2O

They're about the same price on ebay, and a yellow lens is also available which is a TAD bright for sunny days and a TAD dark for dark nights, but would work fine as a happy medium. I've had mine for a year now and the foam is showing signs of deterioration but not so bad they're unusable yet.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:26 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I had a pair of Wiley-X XL-1s that fell apart after a year. I used cheap Global Vision glasses for a year or so after that, then got a pair of Wiley-X Blink transitions a month or so ago. The transitions are pretty convenient, though I wish they got a little darker.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:34 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

turns out those Chicagos I mentioned are from the above mentioned Global Vision company.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave71
That's happened on every single pair of foam-fitted riding glasses I've ever had. The oils in our skin just don't treat foam nicely.

me and most of my bros use "Chicago" riding glasses. They're inexpensive, claim to be shatterproof, and work plenty good. The cost makes them easier to replace than Wiley-X glasses.

Foam-lined riding glasses really should have replaceable foam. Technically it would be if you were able to get the proper foam replacements from the manufacturer, peeled the old off, and re-applied the new stuff using an eye-safe adhesive, but that's a bit of a hassle

here's the chicago ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Gla.../dp/B00289UU2O

They're about the same price on ebay, and a yellow lens is also available which is a TAD bright for sunny days and a TAD dark for dark nights, but would work fine as a happy medium. I've had mine for a year now and the foam is showing signs of deterioration but not so bad they're unusable yet.
I've got these same glasses. I really like them. 2 pairs (1 clear, 1 dark) for $25 shipped. Can't go wrong with these.

Quick Reply: Sunglass recommendations?