General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to buy a used bike privately without getting screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

About the only thing I would add is to ask to see receipts for work done. Some stuff you can obviously see but if there are any engine mods then you want to know who did it and when it was done.

Regarding vin... I would not give out the vin on my bikes to anyone. If you wanted a pic I would block out the production numbers or just show a partial. If you are truly interested, go look at it and inspect it in person. Identity theft is alive and well for people as well as property. Last thing you want to find out is that there are 2 bikes in 2 different states both having the same vin (one of which is yours)

Old 06-28-2010, 10:08 AM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Waiting for the check to clear is great for the seller but what about the buyer? I hand over a draft, wait for it to clear and the guy splits with my bike or flat out refuses to give me the bike. Then its court and a bunch of BS to get my loot back........

I'd imagine most dealers would be willing to work as an escrow service for such transactions though. Buyer pays the dealer, dealer waits for funds to clear and then owner signs the ownership over and dealer cuts seller a check.......

Sounds good to me...

Old 06-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
I'd imagine most dealers would be willing to work as an escrow service for such transactions though. Buyer pays the dealer, dealer waits for funds to clear and then owner signs the ownership over and dealer cuts seller a check.......

Sounds good to me...
Why would a dealer want to do that? Unless there is a couple thousand in it for him for his time and effort

Old 06-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Lardog666
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Waiting for the check to clear is great for the seller but what about the buyer? I hand over a draft, wait for it to clear and the guy splits with my bike or flat out refuses to give me the bike. Then its court and a bunch of BS to get my loot back........

Sounds good to me...
even if you get a loan from the bank or credit union, you can tell the lender that the seller wants cash only, they'll give you the borrowed amount in cash & you bring them the title to to the title work.... That's what I did, seller got cash, I didn't have to wait for the check to clear.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:18 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

another suggestion...not sure, but for cars there are inspection services you can purchase. I did it once...cost about $125 I think. Very thorough, but not so thorough as to do compression tests and all that.

Maybe there's something like that?

Or have the seller meet you at a shop and pay the shop to give it a good going through...

as for payment, www.escrow.com. Ive used the several times for high dollar pro audio deals.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Lots of good advice here . . . one other "trick" I use; I look inside their car/truck (not their bike(s)) even if it's an old one and kinda beat up. I look to see how clean the inside of the car is. If they keep the interior clean it's a fairly good bet that they treat all of their machines that way . . . all the time, not just when they're selling them!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:18 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Awesome advice! Thanks a ton! Now the question is how to find a "fair" value to both me and the seller. Looking at a few 2008 RKC's all with less than 8000 miles. Which book value is most accurate with todays economy? For example KBB trade in is $11750 (+$405 for abs) KBB retail is $15730 (+$600 for abs) and NADA has it listed as low retail $13545 and average retail $14700.

Where the hell does a used bike from a private seller fall? I see lots of RKC's for sale at $16K and above and they're all still for sale. Even those that are $15K are still "for sale". It appears only those around $13-14K are actually selling.
Seems like
every SELLER.... wants/expects HIGH retail.....
every BUYER.... wants/expects LOW wholesale...

Check out Kelly, and NADA, and understand they are a price guide, and the range is based on a bike's "value".... Now there are plenty of sellers out there who owe more than that bike is "worth"

Are you paying cash for the bike? or are you getting a loan? Many banks have limits as to how much they will lend for a used vehicle..Check with your bank first.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:40 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The bikes overall appearance says a lot.First is the miles on odometer,then drive line,finally the person selling the bike.