General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do not lube Magnum Clutch Cables?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:23 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Do not lube Magnum Clutch Cables?

Came across this warning in the touring section. Anyone else have problems with using DriSlide or other lube in these cables. OP said it ruined his clutch cable.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ch-cables.html

Old 07-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Serenity89
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like it...

I came upon this site while cruising the web researching oils and lo and behold found out that I am not the only one with a "ratchety, sticky, gritty" clutch. I bought my 09 Heritage Softail used from a dealer. The clutch seemed "weird" when I test rode it. "Just the cable", I thought, "Needs to be lubed". My husband rode and thought "feels weird because it's newer and we're used to the older bikes with harder clutches" (he rides an 03 Springer Softail, I rode a 2000 Wide Glide) Well, had them check the clutch before I bought it. A little better (or maybe wishful thinking?). Riding it I find myself having trouble easing the clutch out just right... dang thing is sticky... and releases in steps. I felt like a newbie first morning I rode it to work when I just about stalled out and dropped the bike taking off in an intersection (WTF!). I just couldn't find the "sweet spot" . I had a mechanic check it out again and he adjusted and lubed it (Dri-Slide?) and it seemed a little... worse, grittier, more ratchety feeling. Hubby still thought "you're just not used to the easy clutch" and lubed with Dri-Slide to pacify my imaginary problems. A clutch is something you get used to over time on the different bikes, and I am still riding it and having problems (there is NO sweet spot in a ratchety clutch), but now I think I found the answer in the forums - I will be replacing the cable now and let ya know what happens...

Old 07-03-2010, 12:43 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can not use a petroleum based lube on a Teflon line cable, they will get gummed up. You should never have to lube the cables, but if you think you must, use a dry lube. Most of the new cables, Barnett, Magnum...etc are Teflon lined

Old 07-03-2010, 02:09 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just bought magnum cables and they had a big stop sign no lube it will cancel warranty and cause problems

Old 07-03-2010, 09:39 PM
The Wolf
Intermediate

I managed to dick mine up. At least it isnt too expensive!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Serenity89
1st Gear

Replacing the clutch cable solved my problem!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:25 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have now had my new magnum cables and they are great clutch is so much easier to use

Old 07-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

3 years on all of my Magnum cables and not a drop of lubrication.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:06 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

BS. It can not and will not have any impact on teflon.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:37 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
I have now had my new magnum cables and they are great clutch is so much easier to use
That's good to know. Putting them on the wife's Deluxe because the stock wires won't fit her new bars but if the clutch is easier for her that's a big plus.

The note that came with them says: Do Not Lubricate-Cable is Factory Pre-lubricated. For Maintenance, only use SILICONE Lubricant to avoid braiding discoloration.

Doesn't mention anything about non silicone lubes gumming or otherwise affecting the cables.

Quick Reply: Do not lube Magnum Clutch Cables?