General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do not lube Magnum Clutch Cables?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:05 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
That's good to know. Putting them on the wife's Deluxe because the stock wires won't fit her new bars but if the clutch is easier for her that's a big plus.

The note that came with them says: Do Not Lubricate-Cable is Factory Pre-lubricated. For Maintenance, only use SILICONE Lubricant to avoid braiding discoloration.

Doesn't mention anything about non silicone lubes gumming or otherwise affecting the cables.
It says "Do not lubricate" Seems easy enough to me.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:08 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
It says "Do not lubricate" Seems easy enough to me.
WayI read it, it's saying the cables are prelubed and don't need to be lubed during the install process. But when maintenance is needed use a silicone lubricant.

But I'll call them to make sure.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Slowride9
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lubricating cables is a neccessity. All cables come prelubed; but will need to be lubricated at some point in their life.

If you ride in the rain or wash your bike the water can and will get into the cable and, over a period of time, cause problems.

The problem with lubes such as dri-slide is that it seeps through the braids of the cable an will discolor the teflon coating (outside of cable)

Use of petroleum based lubes being a problem is hogwash. The end of the cable is in transmission lubricant, which is petrolem based, and does get into the cable housing.

The way I fixed this on my '09 FLHTCU was to install a HD cable from '07 and get rid of all that bullshit teflon this and that.

Technology is a wonderful thing. But when companies change things just to change them it usually means they are making an attempt to save money on production costs.

ie: what was so wrong with the function os an 1157 (brass base) brake light bulb that we had to change to a 3157 (plastic base) bulb???

Old 07-15-2010, 01:32 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
WayI read it, it's saying the cables are prelubed and don't need to be lubed during the install process. But when maintenance is needed use a silicone lubricant.

But I'll call them to make sure.
You're correct, I read too fast or more correctly didn't read closely enough the part about lubing with silicone based lube. I have 2 types, light and heavy silicone lubes, I don't even know if they make the light anymore and the heavy aint very heavy!