General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender to Tire Clearence

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 02:58 PM
roccitybiker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fender to Tire Clearence

I'm going to be mocking up a new front fender for my bike in the next couple days..Was wondering what would be a good Fender to Tire clearence..I'm running a 120/70-21 front tire..I want the close to the tire look..but dont want to run into the tire rubbing at speed..What do you guys think ?? Thanks !!

Old 06-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

I think it was on OCC that they used a chain over the tire to set the fender.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:09 PM
harleyriv
Road Master

Originally Posted by roccitybiker
I'm going to be mocking up a new front fender for my bike in the next couple days..Was wondering what would be a good Fender to Tire clearence..I'm running a 120/70-21 front tire..I want the close to the tire look..but dont want to run into the tire rubbing at speed..What do you guys think ?? Thanks !!
In design engineering terms you need to know what's called the tyre FF (fully flung) condition.......no really. This radius which represents the growth of the centre of the tyre at a given maximum wheel rotation + a clearance for a retained stone (usually around 6mm) will give you an overall clearance figure. HD usually make this clearance more than's necceassry (witness the front fender to tyre clearance on the XL)

Old 06-26-2010, 03:14 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

1/2" rubber hose and duck tape it to the tire. Tire growth in minimal these days. Never had a problem using 1/2" or 5/8" fuel hose. Here are two on my two different bikes:

Old 06-26-2010, 03:20 PM
harleyriv
Road Master

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Tire growth is minimal these days....
It's still part of the calculation and applied universally within motorcycle design departments....

Old 06-26-2010, 03:43 PM
spooner
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

1/2" rubber hose and duck tape it to the tire. Tire growth in minimal these days. Never had a problem using 1/2" or 5/8" fuel hose. Here are two on my two different bikes:

Spot on! 1/2" is minimal.tire expansion can rub the underside of the fender if it is too close.

www.bigmikespinstriping.com

Old 06-27-2010, 08:54 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyriv
It's still part of the calculation and applied universally within motorcycle design departments....
Please tell us what the exact measurement would be. I wish to know exactly for my build. Please provide references so I may visit the information....Thanks for your time

Old 06-29-2010, 04:57 PM
harleyriv
Road Master

Please tell us what the exact measurement would be. I wish to know exactly for my build. Please provide references so I may visit the information....Thanks for your time

The equations used by engineers in the UK and China (those I'm aware of) are derived from the tire construction parameters and the manufacturers supplied data. For example a 150/60-ZR17 tire will experience an 6-8mm increase in diameter between 40mph and 150 mph. There's also an additional expansion factor due to temperature rise which can be as much as 8% for a street tire and >twice that for a race tire. As I say, the calculation also includes provision for a trapped object between the tire surface and the underside of the fender (or other parts of the chassis in close proximity to the tire)
Your tubing rule of thumb is probably perfectly ok if you've used and tested it empirically.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:26 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roccitybiker
I've got the same size tire on the front, and maybe 1/4inch of clearance at the closest point with no problems so far. I don't spend much time over about 80mph though.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:29 PM
roccitybiker
Cruiser

Thanks..looks good..probably go with 1/2" just to be safe..

Quick Reply: Fender to Tire Clearence