General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel weights

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:55 AM
dvldg1234
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel weights

I recently had my rear tire replaced on my '07 Softail, but I noticed that there is about 7 wheel weights on either side of the rim and they are all in the same spot. There isn't any vibration that I can feel when I'm going down the road or anything, but it just seems wierd that there would need to be so many weights. Should I be concerned?

Semper Fi !!

Old 06-26-2010, 02:41 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

I would take it back and get them to deflate the tire and break the beads, and give the tire a 180 degree turn on the rim and re-inflate the tire. Then peel all the wheel weights off and polish the sticky tape crap off your rims. Then get a kit of Dyna Beads and put into the tire through the valve stem. Your going to have to deflate the tire again to install the Dyna Beads, but if your tubeless its best to inflate the tire to re-seat the tire bead first. Problem solved.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:14 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

I had those kind of weights on my Triumph but on the 95 flstn the wheels have the spoke weights clustered around the wheel. It always bothers me that my wheels where manufactured in a way that they are so out of balance. The sticky mess cleans up easily with break cleaner.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:46 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 331 Posts

+10 on Stubby's. Also, check to see where the dot is on the new tire. It should be located in the valve stem position on the rim. The tires are spun when made, and a dot is placed in the "light" spot on a new tire. My indy uses something similar to dyna beads, I recently had both tires replaced, he used the beads, and they're smooth as silk.

good luck.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:10 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dvldg1234
I recently had my rear tire replaced on my '07 Softail, but I noticed that there is about 7 wheel weights on either side of the rim and they are all in the same spot. There isn't any vibration that I can feel when I'm going down the road or anything, but it just seems wierd that there would need to be so many weights. Should I be concerned?

Semper Fi !!

I have seen more than that on wheels on brand new bikes while uncrating them ....I believe up to 3oz of weight is acceptable according to Harley standards

Old 06-26-2010, 07:33 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stubby3492
I would take it back and get them to deflate the tire and break the beads, and give the tire a 180 degree turn on the rim and re-inflate the tire. Then peel all the wheel weights off and polish the sticky tape crap off your rims. Then get a kit of Dyna Beads and put into the tire through the valve stem. Your going to have to deflate the tire again to install the Dyna Beads, but if your tubeless its best to inflate the tire to re-seat the tire bead first. Problem solved.
+1... whoever mounted the tire is either ignorant (doesn't know any better) or did not pay attention to the tire markings while mounting. The only brand tire that I know that does not mark their tire with the dot on the light spot is Avon (you have to play with them for a while and allot of places won't take the time to do it right). All the other brand tire "dots" need to line up with the valve stem... then balance out the wheel and tire... then add dyna beads to smooth it out.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:51 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Stubby3492
How much do you think they would charge for that?...If the weights he said are on his wheel are 1/4 oz each he only has 1.75 oz. of weight...well within spec.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:24 AM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Default math

I think your math is wrong, I get 3.5 ounces but within harleys limit. Im pretty unhappy with the 5 oz on mine, 20 1/4 oz wghts . what were they thinking??

Old 06-26-2010, 07:10 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

I am thinking he has seven weights total....I wouldn't be happy with 5 oz. either....That is over a quarter of a pound.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:24 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you need 5 oz. of weights, you either need to return the new tire or buy new rims. IMO.

Last edited by ashmarc; 06-26-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Wheel weights