General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't spin on oil filters seem outdated?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Don't spin on oil filters seem outdated?

I'm wondering why there still is no clean way to release all the oil before you remove the filter? I am very neat when changing oil in any of my vehicles but it is a tedious process keeping the oil from making a mess.

I have an old generator that must not have a check valve in the filter/filter assembly. when iI change it there is no mess. I know the check valve is a necessity for bringing oil pressure up quickly upon starting but there has to be a better way.

It would be nice if there was a drain under the filter and a way to release the check valve so you can nicely catch the oil or even have it drain into the engines oil pan.

I'm sure some of you will think this is a non issue and have no trouble. It just seems so odd to me.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:14 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

cant argue with that...

Old 06-25-2010, 01:18 PM
bigstevex4
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a money thing any trhing like that cost money people already complain there to high and whos going to base a purchase on something like that.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:23 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beats the hell out of the ol' school oil filters with a housing and a bolt running up the center. Never really gave it much thought though. Would be nice but until then drippy, runny, messy if you don't precautions. I usually slip a plastic bag over them then unscrew. Bag catching about 90% of the oil. Not perfect but it bets the heck out of not using one.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:27 PM
red69camaro
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its all in the engineering. My 4 liter Ford screws straight down and not a bad job. My daughters buick mounts almost on it's side and is above the fan shroud. What a mess. With bikes, its more looks and location than sensibility.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:31 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I always punch a small in the bottem end of the filter and let it drain off onto a piece of plastic, and then into a pan. Usually works very well.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:34 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member

I guess a spin on filter beats having no filter which was what Harleys had for most of the last century. *shrug*

Old 06-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Jags93
Road Master

I'm just suprised the industry hasn't evolved to a paper only element.

I envision a paper element, much like an air filter sliding out the top of a metal box. after all, they are only paper inside the metal can.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Romark
Road Master

I just pull the plug and let it drain on the ground. Thats where oil came from in the first place. I'm just putting it back where it came from.

Just kidding. I used to work with a guy that thought that was true though.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by BBStacker
Beats the hell out of the ol' school oil filters with a housing and a bolt running up the center.
This for sure. I hated those and I'm glad I don't have to change those filters anymore!

Originally Posted by will2002
I always punch a small in the bottem end of the filter and let it drain off onto a piece of plastic, and then into a pan. Usually works very well.
I punch a hole on the end and one close to the top rim. That lets most of the oil drain onto a catch pan I make from plastic containers my wife gets at the grocery store.

Quick Reply: Don't spin on oil filters seem outdated?