General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't spin on oil filters seem outdated?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 02:37 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Jags93
I'm just suprised the industry hasn't evolved to a paper only element.

I envision a paper element, much like an air filter sliding out the top of a metal box. after all, they are only paper inside the metal can.
Before the mid sixties paper cartriges were the norm but they usually made more of a mess, thats why the manufacturers went to spin on.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:47 PM
P47
Tourer

That's a good question. I'll have to ask the Harley tech about that the next time I'm there getting my oil changed.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:25 PM
skdvr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a Saturn ION that had a housing with a cap that the oil filter dropped down into. No mess at all when changing it, I have often wondered why all cars do not use something like that. Quick and easy....

Phil

Old 06-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Good Time Gang
Tourer

Originally Posted by Romark
I just pull the plug and let it drain on the ground. Thats where oil came from in the first place. I'm just putting it back where it came from.

Just kidding. I used to work with a guy that thought that was true though.
tends to kill the grass, so i make sure to change it in my neighbors yard while he is at work.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:47 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by skdvr
I used to have a Saturn ION that had a housing with a cap that the oil filter dropped down into. No mess at all when changing it, I have often wondered why all cars do not use something like that. Quick and easy....

Phil
BMW cars have a similar filter. It is a metal cylindrical housing. You remove a bolt that goes trhrough the housing cover and filter, take the cover off, take a small plastic bag, grab the filter turn the bag inside out and your done. Then you drop a new filter in, add a little oil and put the cover back on and tighten the bolt.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:43 PM
yankeeflyer72
Road Captain

I remember "Back in the Day", when Chrysler products used a can on the firewall that you put a roll of toilet paper in to filter the oil. At least the filter insert was cheap...

I`d rather see the new spin-ons used as the Old HD`s that didn`t use a filter at all....

Old 06-25-2010, 06:40 PM
SteveFish
Advanced

I installed a remote oil filter kit on my left down tube, 07 EGC. Love it, runs cooler, no mess when changing filter.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jags93
I'm just suprised the industry hasn't evolved to a paper only element.

I envision a paper element, much like an air filter sliding out the top of a metal box. after all, they are only paper inside the metal can.
Those used to be the norm. They were no less messy and were more prone to leak since all too often people would neglect to change out the o-rings in the housings. and most of the time they were still accessed from under the engine.

Remember, the oil filter is fully pressurized. An air filter only has to deal with at most about a 15 PSI pressure differential, oil filters will hit 4-5 times that much pressure on a cold start. On top of that, an air filter deals with negative pressure (pressure outside the filter housing is greater than pressure inside) which actually helps the filter seal more tightly as the differential increases; oil filters deal with positive pressure (pressure inside the filter is greater than pressure outside) which works against the seal. What works to seal an air filter isn't going to cut it for an oil filter.

A lot of newer Euro cars are switching back to cartridge-type oil filters, but it's to reduce the amount of material used to make the filter and to provide greater flexibility in where the filter is mounted, not to reduce oil spillage.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:12 PM
yankeeflyer72
Road Captain

[QUOTE=Romark;6913857]I just pull the plug and let it drain on the ground. Thats where oil came from in the first place. I'm just putting it back where it came from.

Many Moons ago up in the woods when I was loggin' running' Skid CATS and dozers and such, when it came time to change oil, I`d just gouge out a big trough in the ground, pull the machine over it and the mechanic would pull the plug and drain the oil into the trough, usually anywhere from 9 to 13 gallons depending on the size of the machine and engine, along with the filters both oil and hydraulic. When done, I`d back up and fill in the trough with the dirt I had taken out. Usually with a little extra just for good measure. Back before the days of EPA and tree huggers and other environmentalists. They`d probly frown at ya real big nowadays.........

Old 06-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
I always punch a small in the bottem end of the filter and let it drain off onto a piece of plastic, and then into a pan. Usually works very well.
Now That! is an excellent idea. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Don't spin on oil filters seem outdated?