General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 04:16 PM
ga guy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P47
I would suggest taking your bike south of the equator and see if it pulls to the right.
Wrong! He has to go to North Pole...

Old 06-25-2010, 04:19 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ga guy
Wrong! He has to go to North Pole...
LOL... nope. the coriolis effect changes at the equator.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:19 PM
ga guy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by P47
I would suggest taking your bike south of the equator and see if it pulls to the right.
Try to install pink grips, it should stop pulling!

Last edited by ga guy; 06-25-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:25 PM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paud
The other day I was riding down hill on a long flat road. Out of curiosity, I put the bike in Neutral and while coasting at about 35 mph, I took my hands off the grips and just touched them with my finger tips to check out the balance of the bike. No matter what I did (weight shift, leg movement..etc) the bike wanted to go left. I could not take both hands entirely off the bars for fear I would go down!

1.Should the bike have tracked true and balanced?
2. If something is not right, what could it be?
3.If something is not right, do you think it would be covered by the warranty?
Another consideration could be you. Don't take that comment the wrong way, because I'm crooked now too. My bike drifts left with balanced saddle bags, et al., but my lower back and hips are misaligned, so my "natural" riding position has my body leaning left. I can compensate for it, but it's quite uncomfortable...Just another perspective.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:16 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default no problem

Originally Posted by BBStacker
...As for the nay sayers "Oh my goodness don't take your hands off the bars!" Thanks mommy but I'm a big boy now and feel perfectly confident if I feel the need or desire to do so. But thanks for the concern.
Bringing up your mommy may often be your first instinct but do you think your sense of your own maturity may be over-rated? Big boy?

For those who were baffled by my simple comment: "Keep your hands on the bars. End of problem", the OP has had no trouble with the bike's handling until he let go of the bars.

Guy walks into the doctor's office, raises his arm over his head, says: "Doc, it hurts when I go like that." Doc says: "Don't go like that. That'll be $100."

Old 06-25-2010, 05:26 PM
ga guy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by aviator
LOL... nope. the coriolis effect changes at the equator.
Coriolis effect:You ride North or South, bike will pull West.
There is no coriolis effect if you ride East or West.
Nothing changes if you cross equator.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:32 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

All bikes may drift a little left/right, but it is definately not normal if it drifts enough that you think it will go over. I would look for uneven tire wear, but I think the best advice is to have someone check the alignment. It could be many things, but out of alignment would be the most obvious.

P.S.
I regularly take my hands off the bars just for the purpose of troubleshooting problems; looking for drift and wobble. What's the friggin problem with that? Ignoring a suspected problem can at the least cost you money and at the worst your life. Taking your hands off the bars for short distances on straight even surfaces free of traffic should be safe enough as long as the bike is in good working order. If it isn't... well that was the point.

Last edited by keith_stepp; 06-25-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,449 Likes on 5,034 Posts

gyroscopic progression
Not gyroscopic progression when the bike is in a steady state, although when the handlebars are turned left or right it will have some effect, helping the bike to lean over.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-25-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:48 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

your rear wheel probably has a slight offset from factory, this is common,especialy since yours is a 200 rear model! that could be the cause and nothing to worry about??? just an idea

Old 06-25-2010, 06:01 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ga guy
Coriolis effect:You ride North or South, bike will pull West.
There is no coriolis effect if you ride East or West.
Nothing changes if you cross equator.
Um not quite.....Coriolis effect does in fact change at the equator. Might want to google it. Basic spherical geometry and one of Newton's laws of motion.

I have no idea what you are referring to with your example. Sounds like lead/lag times of a magnetic compass.

Quote:
gyroscopic progression

Not gyroscopic progression when the bike is in a steady state, although when the handlebars are turned left or right it will have some effect, helping the bike to lean over.
It is gyroscopic precession not progression and no I don't believe this to be a factor. Any force applied to a rotating mass will be felt 90* out.

My guess is the rear wheel is staggered on the shaft. The left side is farther back than the right. This happens when trying to tighten the belt. But this is just a guess and YMMV.....

Good night

Last edited by RoadKingRon1; 06-25-2010 at 06:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Balance.