General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question For Those Who Know Trade-Ins

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:40 AM
thug23
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question For Those Who Know Trade-Ins

I've decided on buying a 2009 or 2010 Street Glide mainly for the comfort and upgrade from my curent ride, 1998 HD Fatboy.
My current bike is awesome and all customed out and has been nothing short of fantastic with almost no mechanical problems since day one.
The problem is I'm 49 years old and just came back from a nice week vacation where I rode almost 1300 miles in 9 days and boy oh boy is my azz sore.
An Evo motor which is not rubber mounted has started to play with my bones and I feel it in my legs, back and neck after a long ride.
Anyway I was looking for some advice please;
What shops do you know of that take trade-Ins ?
I realize I won't get much for her but it's not practical to own two bikes so a trade-in towards a newer bike is more sensable.
I'm thinking of somekind of custom bagger, one that is already painted and has some goodies on her already...just start and go.
I found a company called "Insane Choppers" who have beautiful custom Street Glides and they accept trade-ins, could you help me with some others please?
Thank You and Save Riding to all.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:28 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My guess would be any dealer that is wanting to sell you a new bike will accept a trade in, granted you are gonna lose your A$$ because after market parts equal exactly $0.00 on trade in.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:50 AM
thug23
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya no doubt about it but besides trying to sell it on my own I figure it's the only way to go.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:09 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,292 Posts

As an EVO owner I'm wondering if it's really the motor that's causing you all this discomfort. Different handlebars and/or a different seat can make a world of difference and would be a lot cheaper than a new bike.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:34 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Take mine on a 1000+ mile ride..........and you'll be begging for that Fatboy back. lol

Old 06-25-2010, 10:13 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was talking to a guy the other day who was buying a new bike. He traded his in and said he got high trade in value for it. He said he tried to sell it for the same price as the trade in, but could get anyone to buy. I usually take off most of the aftermarket stuff and sell it separately before selling my bikes. But looking at those bagger bikes at insane choppers you are talking about...? 30+k is too rich for my blood.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:16 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Its probably not the bike thats the trouble more likely the early onset of old age,im 62 and have had the same problems for 10 years,now im lucky to do 70 miles before i start to get mussle pains,if you havent got one.try a screen it wont help your ***,but might help the rest of your problems,cheaper than a new bike to unless you really wont one.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 351 Likes on 302 Posts

I tend to agree with a post above that rider to bike set up is causing your sore behind (tail bone pain?) and discomfort.

Foot peg/ running board angle and height, handbar bend, seat foam and width and shock set up.

Is it the vibration alone causing the pain?

Since your bike is very much customized and if you still like it, set the bike up to your body's riding position - might cost a cool $1000.00. Else, yes trade to a touring model.

That's my .02.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:45 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default trade

Originally Posted by thug23
I've decided on buying a 2009 or 2010 Street Glide mainly for the comfort and upgrade from my curent ride, 1998 HD Fatboy.
My current bike is awesome and all customed out and has been nothing short of fantastic with almost no mechanical problems since day one.
The problem is I'm 49 years old and just came back from a nice week vacation where I rode almost 1300 miles in 9 days and boy oh boy is my azz sore.
An Evo motor which is not rubber mounted has started to play with my bones and I feel it in my legs, back and neck after a long ride.
Anyway I was looking for some advice please;
What shops do you know of that take trade-Ins ?
I realize I won't get much for her but it's not practical to own two bikes so a trade-in towards a newer bike is more sensable.
I'm thinking of somekind of custom bagger, one that is already painted and has some goodies on her already...just start and go.
I found a company called "Insane Choppers" who have beautiful custom Street Glides and they accept trade-ins, could you help me with some others please?
Thank You and Save Riding to all.
You will probably get more out of your old bike by selling it yourself.

You will definitely pay less for a custom bagger by buying it used from a private seller.

Virtually all dealers will accept trade-ins; many sellers of high-priced custom baggers will probably accept your trade-in in today's market, if you choose to clutter-up the deal.

Sell it yourself; price it to sell fast. Then make a cash deal on a used one from a private seller.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:55 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell it yourself and you will come out ahead.

1300 miles in 9 days? that's only a 145 mile day on average and you are that sore? I would look at the set up of the bike, as was said earlier. With the right handlebars, seat and foot position you should be able to burn through more than a tank of gas/day.

Quick Reply: Question For Those Who Know Trade-Ins