General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D&D Exhaust - You Must Be Kidding Me!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:12 PM
marinepilot81
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default D&D Exhaust - You Must Be Kidding Me!?

This is customer service you can only laugh at. While shopping for a 2-into-1 pipe I called Bubs, D&D, Vance and Hines, etc. Every time I got a sales rep I asked them which specific pipe would fit my 2008 FXDF with a 113.

I ordered the pipe D&D recommended and specifically asked whether or not I needed the Boarzilla or Fat Cat for my 113 Fatbob. My make/model was mentioned 5-10 times with D&D to make sure I was placing the right order with Dr. V-Twin.

Today my pipes arrive and I notice the directions are extremely vague with no pictures, no explanations, or anything else. "Remove old pipes DO NOT REMOVE old mounts and gaskets."

When I called customer service to make sure I was supposed to use both the old and the supplied gaskets the tech service guy said "Um, you can do it either way."

Me - "Which do you recommend for your product."
D&D - "I don't know, man. Using both might give you a better seal."

WTF?! This is the tech line...right?

Then I asked why the holes on the head pipes didn't match up with the posts on my heads.
D&D - "Oh yeah. You ordered the pipes for 2006-2010 Dynas. That doesn't cover the Fatbob which takes it's own special pipes."

Irate, I called Dr. V-Twin and found them most helpful. They DID show a different part number, but it took several minutes to find it. We did a 3 way call with Leonard from D&D and his answers set me over the top.

Leonard - "Not everything we make is on the website."
Me - "So when It says 2006-2010 Dynas, how am I supposed to know that doesn't cover Fatbobs?"
Leonard- "You just have to call us. We can't put everything on the website."
Me- "I'm supposed to use In-and-out's secret menu to know your product codes? I just have to guess?"
Leonard- "If you call us we'll tell you what to get. We sent you the exact product you ordered."

1. Okay, I KNOW KNOW KNOW I mentioned several times that I had a Fatbob and these guys never once mentioned a special Fat Cat for my bike.

2. Leonard told me one of my options was to cut a piece off the head pipes?!

3. D&D took NO responsibility for not posting "except FXDF" or any other advisory/product that would differentiate FXDF from 2006+ Dynas.

I WILL NEVER, EVER give another penny to D&D. How about we try this D&D:

"That's misleading and our tech/sales reps should have caught that. You'll have the correct pipes overnighted along with return postage for your current pipes."

Old 06-24-2010, 10:17 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

memo to self ,no d&d.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Live somewhat close to D & D. Think I'll go over and talk to them, explain they are getting some negative D & D caused bad juju. Probably won't change a thing with them, but it's worth a try, who knows?

Old 06-24-2010, 10:53 PM
ga guy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever you order something assume that parts people are morons. World is not perfect. Adapt.
Simple example. I had a Kia awhile ago and asked old parts guy which ATF it needed. He said Dexron. I made him spend about 10 min., checking computer and several huge books. He found info, I checked the book, he was wrong.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:02 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you should've looked at d&d's online catalog where it clearly shows the different part # for the fatbob.

Last edited by red devil; 06-24-2010 at 11:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Midnight Rambler (05-22-2018)
Old 06-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Hellcat1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reminds me of when I ordered my Lindby Multibar from J and P Cycles. I ordered the part that was supposed to fit all Dynas 06 and newer, but when I get them it had a big sticker on the top that saif "For FXDF with mid controls only". Of course I have the forward controls. After double checking their website and the catolog, nowhere did it specify I needed a different part number. After talking to a tech from J and P, he called Lindby and sure enough, I needed the bars that were made for a Wideglide. They were cool about swapping them out, but I still had to wait for the 3 week turn around.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:46 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

those fatcats are a hot lookin pipe!!

Old 06-25-2010, 12:38 AM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master

Originally Posted by ga guy
Whenever you order something assume that parts people are morons. World is not perfect. Adapt.
Simple example. I had a Kia awhile ago and asked old parts guy which ATF it needed. He said Dexron. I made him spend about 10 min., checking computer and several huge books. He found info, I checked the book, he was wrong.
That is BS. I will not "adapt" to giving vendors a crapload of money for them to offer terrible service. The cycle parts industry is an anomaly. I have never seen any other industry where you can treat customers the way a vast majority of parts vendors do and still be in business. I can't count the number of times I have been screwed in one way or another, often by very familiar names and vendors on this board. Literally the only one who has ever exceeded expectations and then some is Dr. Vtwin. They are a diamond in the rough. I will also give a nod to Jamie at FuelMoto as well...they were very quick to respond to a problem I had. Other than that...eff the rest.

Oh and "Leonard", if you are reading this, no, we shouldn't have to hold your hand and call you to verify is what you have on your website is correct. Get it together or GTFO.

Thanks OP for steering me away from D&D.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:06 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Well, I just spent 15 minutes trying to find the right Fat Cat pipe for a 2008 FXDF and I did not find it.

They need a new webmaster. Their site sucks and it's hard to navigate. The pipes should be arranged by type of bike instead of all ***** nilly. It's just part of doing business online.

If you go to Phat Performance the pipes are laid out much better and you can dial in what you're looking for. It took me one minute to drill down to the Dyna D&D pipes on Phat.

I haven't tried DrVtwin yet.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:19 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AThousandHurricanes
That is BS. I will not "adapt" to giving vendors a crapload of money for them to offer terrible service. The cycle parts industry is an anomaly. I have never seen any other industry where you can treat customers the way a vast majority of parts vendors do and still be in business. I can't count the number of times I have been screwed in one way or another, often by very familiar names and vendors on this board. Literally the only one who has ever exceeded expectations and then some is Dr. Vtwin. They are a diamond in the rough. I will also give a nod to Jamie at FuelMoto as well...they were very quick to respond to a problem I had. Other than that...eff the rest.

Oh and "Leonard", if you are reading this, no, we shouldn't have to hold your hand and call you to verify is what you have on your website is correct. Get it together or GTFO.

Thanks OP for steering me away from D&D.
You are exactly right, but the tech guy you talked to was probably some 20 something year old punk that was just working there while in college to get his business degree so that he might be able to take over as manager where you work. What I am saying is don't lay all of the blame (most of it but not all) on the tech guy, after all someone else there had to of hired him.
BTW, thanks for the heads up, looks like D&D pipes are off of my list of things I want to add to my bike.

Quick Reply: D&D Exhaust - You Must Be Kidding Me!?