General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last nights ride was sketchy at best

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:00 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Last nights ride was sketchy at best

I had some business to do in Seattle, so I thought I would make a bike trip out of it from Spokane. On the way there I noticed some crazy rattling going on and I needed a tssm module programmed so I thought on my way home I would stop at Eastside Harley and get done what I needed. To make a longer story short, they had my bike a couple hours longer than expected. So I am heading back and about 2 hours from home it's 9 at night and my night glasses are nowhere to be found. So I have to wear my sunglasses. I am heading toward Spokane with the cruise set at 80, barley see the road, and nothing but lightning strikes all around me. Some were so close they almost blinded me (even with the sunglasses on). The whole time all I was thinking about was my wife sitting at home worried because it's late and the lighting....etc. Well I get home at 11 and all the lights are out, I go in to tell my wife I made it home OK and she wakes up with the sour lemon look on her face, like "why are you waking me" lol. Oh well. By the way Eastside was pretty good. They even let me take out a couple demos to tool around town while my bike was being worked on.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:09 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gotta love that lightning.........

Old 06-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man I did the same thing this past weekend.

Went to DC to hang out with some friends Saturday night. Left early evening Saturday and would be coming back Sunday morning/afternoon (daylight on both trips, no need for night glasses). End up hanging out with this girl all day Sunday, spin it into a date with dinner and a movie in Georgetown, then had to ride home around 11PM Sunday night. Scary as hell. Couldn't read the road at all. Really screws with your depth perception. I guess if I had really been on my game I wouldn't have had to ride home to Baltimore until the morning... oh well.

Only difference is I didn't have anyone to answer to when I rolled in at midnight, although I did have to wash the DC snobbiness off of me immediately.

But yea, wearing sunglasses at night - not as cool as the song makes it out to be.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:53 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
gotta love that lightning.........
You aint kidding. Especially when you start to see it ahead of you and you start thinking " I am heading right in the middle of that"

Originally Posted by Hollywood Ball
But yea, wearing sunglasses at night - not as cool as the song makes it out to be.
LOL. I was actually thinking about that song this morning when I woke up.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:15 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

set at 80, barley see the road, and nothing but lightning strikes all around me. Some were so close they almost blinded me (even with the sunglasses on).
Good grief man, I would have been pulling over as fast as my brakes would allow.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:21 PM
soundman
Road Captain

80 at night with sunglasses and can barely see??? Where do I sign up?

Old 06-24-2010, 12:28 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member

Yeah in retrospect I could have done things different. I had been riding for 500 miles and just wanted to get home.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:12 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Panoptics. photocomatic lenses no worries

Old 06-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Where were you? Up on highway 2? I heard yesterday evening they had some nasty thunderstorms up that way with some flash flooding that washed out some roads up around Hartline. Had the scanner on and cop was pretty frantic that they had to get some closures ASAP. We didn't get any rain or storms around here in Moses Lake.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:46 PM
DanD
Road Captain

better to ride with no glasses at night then sunglasses,I lost a friend that way few years ago.
he was wearing sunglasses at night ,1/2 mile form his house he hit a black cow standing in the middle of the road and died.In a pinch,you could always stop at a hardware or discount store and grab some cheap safety glasses
I hate the severe storms,gotta watch out for tornado weather in the flat country,and the hail sucks really bad too!

Last edited by DanD; 06-24-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Last nights ride was sketchy at best