General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006 | 07:42 AM
ozzybob
|
Novice
Default cleaning tips

Hi i need help just got my first harley 1200c sportster can any one give me tips on cleaning do i need harley cleaning stuff or are there other cleaners i can use for general washing and crome cleaning and bug remover

Old 08-24-2006 | 07:55 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: cleaning tips

Bob, everyone does it differently. My method is frowned on by quite a few but I simply go to the coin-op car wash and use the wand. I'm careful not to use high pressure around the wheel axles, electrical and instruments. I have never had a problem doing this in all the years that there have been coin-op car washes.

For light detailing, lemon pledge works beautifully on the painted surfaces and I use windex on the chrome.

I too have a 1200 C. Awesome bike. You're in for alot of fun. Welcome to the forum.

Old 08-24-2006 | 09:10 AM
Mac57
Road Warrior

Man that Lemon Pledge is a classic by now. I used it on my cars 30 plus years ago and thought I was the only one. A couple good applications of paste wax first, then detail with pledge. Looks great! For washing I prefer using the garden hose in my driveway and a bucket of good old Dupont car wash powder. Low pressure shower setting on the spray nozzle. Dry off with an old terry cloth towel or chamois cloth.

Old 08-24-2006 | 09:41 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Ozzybob,there is no trick to washing these bikes and you dont need the HD cleaning products..Just like Mac57 I do it the driveway.Just get some concentrated carwash and a couple of sponges.Use one sponge for the tin and one for the tires/wheels.
Just try off with terry cloth towel.
I would avoid pressure washers.
Check out the detailing section here.

Old 08-24-2006 | 09:48 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member

I like the Lemon Pledge gig!!!

I too do the driveway wash (if you look close at my pic, I think the chrome frame cover is still wet). I use some Pig Snot to get the gunk off without scratching when it's real dirty, then with or without pig snot I was with rain dance car wash and water. I blow off with a portable B&D blower after. I try not to wash more than I need too - often you can just dust with Harley Gloss. And I try not to get the Pig Snot on the fenders or tank I think it cuts the wax.

I use Harley Gloss and Mothers wax, but I may move to the lemon pledge. Oh, need a can of neverdull wads and Mothers billet polish.

Old 08-24-2006 | 10:02 AM
Bassman
Road Master

Another driveway washer.
I use a good brand of car wash solution (don't remember the brand off the top of my head) and two buckets. One with the car wash solution & one with clean water. I always rinse the towel in the water bucket prior to dunking it in the solution bucket. This helps keep the dirt that you just wiped off the bike out of the solution bucket.
Then I blow it off with shop vac (in blower mode, not suction mode).

When it it wax time, I use liquid glass.

Old 08-24-2006 | 11:17 AM
ozzybob
|
Novice

Thanks for the tips looks like a driveway wash

Old 08-24-2006 | 12:51 PM
Edmo
Road Master

- Put bike on lift in driveway (allows for tire spin)
- Bucket of car wash with several sponges (1 for painted areas, 1 for gunk covered areas)
- Water hose to spray off soap
- Leaf blower dry down
- Wax (as required)
- Ride & make dirty again

Edmo

Old 08-24-2006 | 02:17 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member

edmo- we have 2 things in common... we ride the same freakin HD and we wash em the same!

Old 08-24-2006 | 02:33 PM
Hound Dog 1
Advanced

Heck, enough water and a sponge you're there.

Seriously, the key is to keep up with it. Bikes have all sorts of nooks for crap to build up (working under my bike last week sent me grumbling). I've used most everything from Harley products to S100 products. Make sure that no matter what you get that it's safe for motorcycles. Some car-care products can be a pain.

I've had a lot of luck with Turtle Wax Bug and Road Tar remover. It's petroleum based so get it on and off in a hurry. It works wonders though. Use a good paste wax, but make sure to get it out of crannies before it dries. You'll end up with lots of white crud jammed into place you didn't get the wax out of.

No matter what, make sure you wash those wheels, particularly if you've got spokes. There are lots of products that are good for wheels, and get the brake dust and road grit off. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that the product you pick is safe for motorcycles. I've found that they're usually marked.

You'll definitely want to get some Novus winshield polish if you've got a windshield. Those ain't glass and they scratch really easily.

You'll want to use a microfiber cloth to clean and polish (the Harley cloths are good but expensive). Be very careful to avoid using some terry cloth towels as they'll scratch. I HATE the fuzzy cleaning mitts that look like wool. I pulled all sorts of little wooly snags off of my bikes before I got a microfiber wash mitt that I love.

I know a lot of folks use all sorts of products to polish the chrome. After a few tries, I settled on a very lightly damp microfiber cloth. That's it. It picks up any spotting and leaves a nice shine. Plus, it's cheap.

Quick Reply: cleaning tips