General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price negotiation at HD Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:56 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Price negotiation at HD Dealer?

Hi All,
I'm looking to buy a new or used 2009-10 Road King. I have cash but am wondering about price negotiation. I'll buy new or used, I don't really care as long as the bike is in good shape.

What can I expect, if anything, as far as price negotiation on a new bike vs a used bike? Any room to move on either or are the prices pretty well set? I was thinking since the 11's will be coming out soon they may want to move the remaining 10's...

Any ideas? Like everyone else I don't have a surplus of loot to throw around.

Thanks!
J.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:00 PM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For starters, your dealership shouldn't charge freight or set-up from the get-go. That will be easy to negotiate if they do. If they won't budge, tell them you are buying a bike, but will get it elsewhere.

Secondly, you may be able to get as much as $2k off an '09, and $1k off a '10. That's what I'd hit for. But, that's just talking with my local dealer...yours may be different.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:01 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Oh...if you can find an '08 that still new, they will come down $3-4k easy! Without negotiating, my local store has dropped the price $3500 on two remaining '08s that just won't sell.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:01 PM
4bucks08
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After visiting 4 dealerships.....I was able to buy my bike for $3,290($1,450 below MSRP) less than the first offer......make sure you get all quotes in writing.....The dealers here in SC love to play the price war game........just a thought.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by 4bucks08
After visiting 4 dealerships.....I was able to buy my bike for $3,290 less than the first offer......make sure you get all quotes in writing.....The dealers here in SC love to play the price war game........just a thought.
When did you get it, and what year was the bike? Sounds like a deal to me!

I may have to get another!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:05 PM
4bucks08
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DocJ
When did you get it, and what year was the bike? Sounds like a deal to me!

I may have to get another!
May 22,2010....its a 2010 FXDC,had 7 miles on it(over 1800 miles now)

Old 06-23-2010, 11:06 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks a ton for the ideas! I know when I bought my Fatboy in 96 I paid through the @ss for it. Now things are way different though. I know HD is like Rolex and they all have to sell at or close to list but with todays economy I have to think cash talks and depending on the dealer may bend the rules a bit.

Surely buying privately could be better but I have no idea where to start negotiating with a private seller. Is KBB accurate or is there something better?

Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by 4bucks08
May 22,2010....its a 2010 FXDC,had 7 miles on it(over 1800 miles now)
Amazing...now I feel I got ripped! I negotiated $2k off, roughly, for my bones, which is also a 2010. Got it in...March? I think...yeah, March.

Anyway, it had 11 miles on it! You'd think they would have come off more for such high miles!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Thanks a ton for the ideas! I know when I bought my Fatboy in 96 I paid through the @ss for it. Now things are way different though. I know HD is like Rolex and they all have to sell at or close to list but with todays economy I have to think cash talks and depending on the dealer may bend the rules a bit.

Surely buying privately could be better but I have no idea where to start negotiating with a private seller. Is KBB accurate or is there something better?
By the way, Welcome to the Boards! I forgot to say that...at least, I am guessing you're new, due to your low post-count. If not, I apologize, but I MUST greet anyone I feel is new...lol. Anyway, good to have you.

Check KBB and NADA. Both are pretty accurate, I feel. They give a good starting point for negotiations, and if the seller doesn't like it, you can show solid evidence to support your reasoning. That will usually convince a seller enough to negotiate on the bike. Hope that helps!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:21 PM
4bucks08
Cruiser

Anyway, it had 11 miles on it! You'd think they would have come off more for such high miles!
4 of the first 7 miles were put on by myself during the test ride....I just wish I would have taken the savings and had the stock exhaust ripped off,but then again,I cant decide which exhaust I wanna go with

Quick Reply: Price negotiation at HD Dealer?