Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flashing lights not just for leo

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:37 PM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default flashing lights not just for leo

Just out for a jaunt on a sunny day (yesterday). Familiar back road, done it many times. Not usually highway patrolled. On the way back, a bike flashes lights at me. Hmmm, I thought, Leo?? or just being friendly? Next a pickup truck, same thing. Unusual. Now I'm slowing down and looking for the cruiser on the road side. What do I see in the ditch but a big a** bull moose! Just off the side of the road. He looks at us (riding 2 up) and goes back to munching leaves. It was enour-moose! Good thing he stayed where he was grazing. Gave us a bit of a shock, expecting bears and saw a moose! Ya never know what is around the corner. Thanks for the heads up to the other drivers!

Old 06-23-2010, 02:41 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I always pay attention to ones that flash their lights at me even if don't see the reason why up the road better safe than sorry .. Nice of them to warn you, I try to warn others as well but some drivers are just plain oblivious to their surroundings ..

Old 06-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Tucson_Tim
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool story. Never seen a moose in the wild. I could easily look this up but I'm too lazy: Are they aggressive?

Old 06-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 466 Likes on 192 Posts

Last year me and my wife were riding the snake (421) and a bear walked out in the road in front of us (about 150 yards ahead). It stopped looked and walked off into the woods. Luckily we were at a safe cruising speed and had no trouble getting slowed up.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:54 PM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are moose aggressive? Check this out.

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...ldlife.agmoose

Old 06-23-2010, 02:57 PM
kevmic28
Road Warrior

I almost hit a deer yesterday on my way to school. Talk about a pucker factor. I was a second or two faster than him and he crossed behind me. Sad thing is the deer wasnt so lucky this morning. Saw him on the side of the road this morning, same area that I met up with him yesterday morning. Too bad he was a healthy looking deer. Would have made a good amount of meat for some hunter in the fall.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Tucson_Tim
Tourer

Originally Posted by tomt
Are moose aggressive? Check this out.

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...ldlife.agmoose
So, the answer is "yes" and "no".

Moose are not normally aggressive; however, they can be very aggressive in winter when they are hungry; tired of walking in deep snow; or harassed by people, dogs, and traffic.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:43 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucson_Tim
Cool story. Never seen a moose in the wild. I could easily look this up but I'm too lazy: Are they aggressive?
Generally not, but they are freaking solid!!! Take a 1800 lb Hereford bull, throw 48 - 50" legs on it, and then imagine the damage if you hit it at any kind of speed. They don't go into the grille, they go over it and straight into the car! If you're on a bike and hit one, you're done. Them swamp donkeys will kill ya...

Old 06-23-2010, 04:07 PM
dvmweb
Tourer

I live in the Northern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan and we have elk. I almost clobbered one of these big buggers one time. They are not as big as moose, but I might I have been able to ride underneath their belly. A big bull might go 800+ lbs. They just sit there and look at you until you stop. We ride really slowly in the wooded areas and during early evening hours. I have a couple of riding buds that have clobbered deer.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:51 PM
silverwolf79
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say is "Thank God for people that flash the lights" , never ran across a moose but many of deer I've been warned about !!!

Quick Reply: flashing lights not just for leo