General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flashing lights not just for leo

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Fister
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you’re riding in the north you have to watch the roads, seen the aftermath of riders hitting bears and moose neither turned out with the rider in decent shape or a trip to the hospital if they are lucky enough to survive the strike. My sister and parents lives on 92 in SE Kentucky which is a semi favorite road for riding, but most don’t know that runs alongside a state wildlife reserve and there are a ton of Dear and a few Elk that get on the road. My sister had a deer jump on the car when she was going to work, came through the windshield, luckily it hit the passenger side. No warning just jumped off the side of the hill one of the sharp corners.

Deer are just as bad to a rider if you hit one. Growing up in rural Ohio, you would see lots of people flashing lights for deer, popo or just because you headlights were too bright. Either way there was some hazard that was ahead. Personally I don’t mind if someone gives warning, others in today’s road rage world feel different, about the flashes.

Be safe.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:12 PM
bear68
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HA! Swamp Donkeys! I LOVE IT! Anybody remember the video of the guys running up in the Black Hills when a deer came leaping out of the woods and jumped right OVER one dude's bike??

Old 06-23-2010, 08:19 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I received about 6 cars flashing their lights over a mile or so in twisties between Wikieup and Prescott. Was scratching my head until I came up on free range cattle hanging out roadside.

Was glad for the warning and tried to do same for others coming up on them.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:17 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tucson_Tim
Cool story. Never seen a moose in the wild. I could easily look this up but I'm too lazy: Are they aggressive?
they sure can be........I wouldn't want to run into one face to face

Old 06-24-2010, 03:35 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Spent a winter in Fort Nelson (northern BC) and killed 25 moose

with the train. Damn things would walk down the track because it was easier than walking in the deep snow. Once, we followed one for about 2 miles at about 3 or 4 mph before it got tired of us blowing the whistle and turned around and charged the loco. You wouldn't feel the impacts but the sound was unmistakable. Even chased wolves down the track. Did hit a D9 Cat once though that woke me up. Took the blade right off. Felt that one. I won't ride the highways after dusk just because of the wildlife. 2 weeks ago I witnessed a head on between a M/C and a pick up because of a damn mtn goat.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:47 AM
bruce sg08
Road Captain

Never got to see one, but we where in vermont last year and seen the moose crossing signs, laughed like hell and even stopped to get a pic of one. But wouldn't want to hit one.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:23 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

That's a real big deal for our rides to work everyday.Over the years several of my friends have hit moose and deer,two of them killed hitting moose.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:14 AM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bear68
HA! Swamp Donkeys! I LOVE IT! Anybody remember the video of the guys running up in the Black Hills when a deer came leaping out of the woods and jumped right OVER one dude's bike??
Yeah...saw that vid...it was incredible!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:03 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Dont have any Moose around here in Indiana flat lands.

Did have a squirrel run across the road right in front of me couple days ago.. A big one too...

Deer alone are estmated to have 1.5 million collisions @ yr with autos.
http://indianaaccidentlawyersblog.bl...accidents.html

I'd hate to be ridding and see a big ole moose or bear in the road,, Grandma's reaction (sitting back there) to seeing one cause cause me to wreck alone..

Old 06-25-2010, 07:24 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce sg08
Never got to see one, but we where in vermont last year and seen the moose crossing signs, laughed like hell and even stopped to get a pic of one. But wouldn't want to hit one.
there was one of those signs just before we saw the moose. It would have made a great picture because the sign was right beside the actual moose.

Quick Reply: flashing lights not just for leo