General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Donation ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:48 PM
lastson
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Donation ideas

My brother is a Disabled Irag Vet, wife did the Dear John with as many Johns as she could find while he was over there. We served together in 5th Group thanks to sheer luck since there is no buddy system anymore. He continued on with his military career after I got out but from trying to win her back got out, to try to "be home more". Anyways, make a long story short to fill the hole she left, no married to her then boss. He bought a bike and on the day of my 30th Birthday he got cut off in a 55mph turn and lost control and hit a sign the guy who ran him off the road didnt even stop just kept driving oblivious to what he had done. Left him with a BTK amputation and depression even worse then before. Fast forward to few months back due to the forth coming Cap and Trade system our local refinery here in Delaware owned by Valero called it quits, who can blame them. His job as a saftey inspector and outfitter was gone. His medical bills stopped being covered and his prosthetic which was to be replaced was no longer covered. This was last year. Now he is working contract but can't get insurance to cover the new prosthetic which is around 13k I believe he said earlier. He has a 4 year old son, my pride and joy as an Uncle and can barely use his prosthetic because its damaged and basically unrepairable. We have Jerry Rigged it but today it gave out and cut his nub up pretty bad.

So thats the sob story, here is where I need the ideas. Thinking of putting up a website with his story, the fact that the V.A., the State of Delaware wont do anything to help him because he makes to much with his contract job which barely pays his bills, to see if i can raise some money for him. Like do a Paypal address where if someone wants to donate 5 cents or 500 dollars they can. The Rides, fundraisers around here are pretty much worthless to do because frankly everyone around here is a bunch of selfish ******** who only care about themselvs. Hence the guy just rolling off talking on his cell phone while my Brother lay there with his foot still in his shoe up the hill and tying a belt around his leg so he didnt bleed out. grrr

Still get pissed thinking about it. Anyways. Is there any legal **** you gotta do to do this or whatever, or do i just throw it up and say here ya go donate if you want, however much you want if not thanks for looking kinda deal.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:48 PM
groundedangel69
Advanced

Thank you and your brother for your service.

I've got a friend who is a fund raising fiend. He's also the service officer for the local DAV and VFW post. I'll call him tomorrow and see if he's got some ideas. Get back to you soon on that.

Meanwhile some reading here
http://www.amputee-coalition.org/fac...sist_orgs.html

and try

National Amputation Foundation
http://www.nationalamputation.org

Barr Foundation
http://www.oandp.com/resources/organizations/barr

and I would urge him to call M-Star which provides peer support and aid to amputees.
http://m-star.org

Old 06-23-2010, 09:44 AM
lastson
Tourer

Thanks man I appreciate it. We love our Country thats why we served!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:03 PM
groundedangel69
Advanced

Spent an hour on the phone with my buddy today. Needless to say, he's right pissed off. He'd be happy to help himself but can't since he's down here and not up there.

This is what he says:
Contact the closest VA advocate or service officer to your brother and get them on the case. He says it makes no difference if this was a civilian injury or not. If your brother is a veteran and served honorably, the VA HAS to help him. If he's got no private insurance see if Medicaid/Medicare/Tricare won't cover it. He'll have to provide his income info and DD214. If he can't pay in full, he might have to pay some kind of co-pay but he can NOT be denied if he is eligible. If he's been denied because he has a prosthetic already, he can appeal based on the condition it is in now. You can find contact info for the Delaware Veterans Affairs here: http://veteransaffairs.delaware.gov/contact.shtml service officers are listed by county.

Next step is to contact the Governor and your state and federal congressman in writing. In other words sic 'em on the State and the Feds. It's an election year. Use it your your advantage. NO ONE wants to hear about an Iraq vet that can't afford a new prosthetic and the government won't help him. How many folks will get re-elected if that word gets out? And like the public will care how he got his BTK.

Call or write the VFW, DAV, American Legion and AMVETS posts nearest to your brother. If they're small posts, find the biggest ones near him and contact them too. Ladies Auxiliaries too. Good posts to contact already do things for the community like sponsoring a boy scout troop. If you can get a post involved, likely you can get a scout troop in it too. Let them know what's going on and that he needs help. See if they'll do a fund raiser BBQ or something for him and if so get permission from the post commander to advertise it. If you get the OK, then do it. Call the media with a human interest story. It's advertising for the post and your brother's plight. A lot of newspapers, radio and TV stations will run charity events for free.

If I come up with more, I'll let you know.

Edited to add: If he's not getting anywhere with the state service officers he needs to talk to one of the Post service officers. A local DAV Chapter should have an official service officer that will advocate on his behalf. A lot of times that works much better since there's a smaller shuffle to get lost in.

Last edited by groundedangel69; 06-23-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:52 AM
lastson
Tourer

Originally Posted by groundedangel69
Spent an hour on the phone with my buddy today. Needless to say, he's right pissed off. He'd be happy to help himself but can't since he's down here and not up there.

This is what he says:
Contact the closest VA advocate or service officer to your brother and get them on the case. He says it makes no difference if this was a civilian injury or not. If your brother is a veteran and served honorably, the VA HAS to help him. If he's got no private insurance see if Medicaid/Medicare/Tricare won't cover it. He'll have to provide his income info and DD214. If he can't pay in full, he might have to pay some kind of co-pay but he can NOT be denied if he is eligible. If he's been denied because he has a prosthetic already, he can appeal based on the condition it is in now. You can find contact info for the Delaware Veterans Affairs here: http://veteransaffairs.delaware.gov/contact.shtml service officers are listed by county.

Next step is to contact the Governor and your state and federal congressman in writing. In other words sic 'em on the State and the Feds. It's an election year. Use it your your advantage. NO ONE wants to hear about an Iraq vet that can't afford a new prosthetic and the government won't help him. How many folks will get re-elected if that word gets out? And like the public will care how he got his BTK.

Call or write the VFW, DAV, American Legion and AMVETS posts nearest to your brother. If they're small posts, find the biggest ones near him and contact them too. Ladies Auxiliaries too. Good posts to contact already do things for the community like sponsoring a boy scout troop. If you can get a post involved, likely you can get a scout troop in it too. Let them know what's going on and that he needs help. See if they'll do a fund raiser BBQ or something for him and if so get permission from the post commander to advertise it. If you get the OK, then do it. Call the media with a human interest story. It's advertising for the post and your brother's plight. A lot of newspapers, radio and TV stations will run charity events for free.

If I come up with more, I'll let you know.

Edited to add: If he's not getting anywhere with the state service officers he needs to talk to one of the Post service officers. A local DAV Chapter should have an official service officer that will advocate on his behalf. A lot of times that works much better since there's a smaller shuffle to get lost in.
Awesome awesome info man. If you are EVER up this way many beers we three shall share! I'm gonna try to get over to see him tomorrow after work see how his rubadub nub as we call it is healing up.

He tried for Medicad and/or Care I believe Wed and was denied flat out. And he went ballistic and got thrown out of the building...gotta love my brother. But I am gonna get this all down and printed out and he and I and my lovely fiance are gonna start putting a plan of action together.

Thanks again man!