General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer strips oil drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:30 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by trafficjams
All those items have torque values that prevent "over tightening"

If you ever see your motorcycle mechanic not using a torque wrench on your bike, whether a Harley "Tech" or an independent, never take it back to them.

Some guys think they're too "experienced" to use a torque wrench. Watch out for those ones too.
That is a bit ****...I have seen instances where the torque specs won't work on certain applications...One example would be the handlebar clamps after installing 16" apes...An experienced tech knows where and when to use a torque wrench...And when to leave it in his tool box.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:55 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
That is a bit ****...I have seen instances where the torque specs won't work on certain applications...One example would be the handlebar clamps after installing 16" apes...An experienced tech knows where and when to use a torque wrench...And when to leave it in his tool box.
Yep. Looks like the tech that put the oil plug back in the OP bike left his in the tool box too.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:40 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All those items have torque values that prevent "over tightening"

If you ever see your motorcycle mechanic not using a torque wrench on your bike, whether a Harley "Tech" or an independent, never take it back to them.

Some guys think they're too "experienced" to use a torque wrench. Watch out for those ones too.
The local stealer uses the pneumatic wrenches.. they claim that they can set them for a specific torque. Maybe so. But just because they CAN set them, doesn't mean they WILL.

Every service I had them do they over tightened EVERY thing. To the point where I had to bring the bike back in for them to remove the screws for the derby cover.

Then I said to myself "screw this.. I've rebuilt motors before, why can't I change the frigging fluids?" So I bought the inch pound and foot pound clicker torque wrenches. And now I know it's done right. Motor oil ever 2500 miles and tranny and primary every 5000 miles.

One thing I found is that I only really use the foot pound wrench. The T27 torx driver I use is in the form of a screw driver... so I just tighten it so it's "kinda tight" (technical term that..) and I'm good to go. The foot pound clicker is good for the 3 drain plugs, and that's about all I use it for (so far).

Old 06-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Steel bolt into an aluminum pan something is going to give and it won't be the bolt if it is cross treaded or over torqued.

Their fall back position might be to rethread it with an oversized bolt. I wouldn't take less than a new oil pan.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Yep. Looks like the tech that put the oil plug back in the OP bike left his in the tool box too.
Who knows? He might used one or might not have...He could have had years or experience or it might have been his first day...Any one can and will make mistakes...It is how you man up and fix the problem that makes the difference...I have seen a lot of techs come and go in my line of work and I can tell you the best ones didn't use a torque wrench for every fastener on what they were working on.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:29 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toastman
refuse to pay it.

speak to the service manager and explain to him that his people are the only ones that have been in the oil pan...and it's their fault
That's where I'd start too.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:34 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

This is exactly why I enjoy fingerpointing at the mechanics once they fugged up...They are to pay for their own mistakes. Never had a problem with my HD dealer, but a car dealership.

Thorey

Old 06-23-2010, 06:46 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if they will not pay for it--charge the repair on your credit card, contact the company and let them go to bat for you. american express is good at standing up for their customers. did you charge your last service...you may have some kind of warranty thru your card. get your bike back and don't ever set foot in that shop again--file complaint with better business bureau, tell all your friends. try contacting your local tv station, they love doing stories on consumer problems. give 'em hell.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:55 AM
bruce sg08
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way, there mistake, they eat it, and they wonder way people call them stealers.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:51 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Go over there and throw a brick through their front window and tell them you want them to pay to repair it. See what they say.

Quick Reply: Dealer strips oil drain plug