General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer strips oil drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:02 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txhdguy
They probably didn't cross thread it. They probably over tightened it. I agree they should pay for it. If I do that in my shop I have to eat the repair not the customer.
+1

Probably over tightening.. I've not had a problem with the drain plug, but DID have a problem with the dealer over tightening the screws that hold the derby cover (on the primary) in place.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:14 PM
ga guy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't argue with manager, call Harley customer service.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDATTY
Took my bike in for oil change. Dealer calls me and says I need new oil pan because drain plug is stripped. This dealership did last oil change also. If they stripped it then would have leaked? How could they have stripped the threads. He says it happens because oil pan is thin metal. He wants me to pay for new oil pan and labor. I think they probably cross threaded the plug when putting it back in. I am pissed. What do you all think? I now know why you all change your own fluids.
They fu@ked it up. Make them fix it on their dime. Don't give in.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no way that I would pay for some dealers bonehead techs fuggup.

Either or.. cross-threaded or over-tightened... They provided you with an unprofessional hack service.

This is why I urge all my friends to properly perform their own basic service. Go out and buy inch-pound and foot-pound torque wrenches and a factory service manual for your bike and do it yourself. Unless you have known the wrench that services your ride, you never know what kind of quality you're going to get... even at a Harley-Davidson dealer!

If you don't get satisfaction with the service manager, contact the owner in writing.

Make sure you post the name of that dealer on this forum so that others in your area know their service work is fuggen shoddy.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tinker1
+1

Probably over tightening.. I've not had a problem with the drain plug, but DID have a problem with the dealer over tightening the screws that hold the derby cover (on the primary) in place.
All those items have torque values that prevent "over tightening"

If you ever see your motorcycle mechanic not using a torque wrench on your bike, whether a Harley "Tech" or an independent, never take it back to them.

Some guys think they're too "experienced" to use a torque wrench. Watch out for those ones too.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:38 PM
ROMPUS
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always a bad experance at stealership.If they remove your seat check to make sure it was put back right.Where I use to take mine they never put the seat on right so the front of the seat would be loose to move all around.I bought service manual and do all my own work now.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 PM
HDATTY
Advanced

Thanks for all the responses. I thought this was their screw up. Was looking at a new Heritage there on Sat. They lost my sale. Too many other dealerships around here to mess with them. I am going to call them tomorrow. If no luck I will write owner a letter and call HD customer service. I will post name of dealership if I do not get any satisfaction. Also, since I am an atty I also thought about filing a claim in small claims court. They will have to hire an atty to fight it. This will cost them more than the part.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good on you for not disclaiming their name yet! But who of all people to know better eh! This incident could happen on any, day any where. A particular tech might have been taken on his last repair, and is just trying to make up for it somewhere down the line. Most get paid a pretty paltry book rate for what they do, and is not always such a glamorous job.
They should muck up on this with as much as couple of well placed calls or letters.
Subscribed!

aka Bob

Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 PM
bwest3
Advanced

Like everyone else has said. I wouldn't pay for their screw up. Too many stealerships getting away with whatever they please these days. I'd be frank with the service manager and explain to him they were the ones who service your bike only. And what your intentions are if they do not comply.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:24 PM
mudsweatNgears
Cruiser

The ol sayin "If ya want something done right, do it yourself" is not just a saying but gospel in my book.

I once took my cage to an Indy for a brake job. I suspect the mechanic or monkey rather, started the lug nut on with an impact and of course cross threaded the thing on the stud. It was the same wheel I had a flat on a week earlier. I spun the nuts on all the lugs freely by hand then torqued and all was fine then.

The owner swears up and down it was like that when I brought it in and refused to cover the cost. He quickly became nasty with me about it so I just paid it since it wasn't much anyhow. I must be really strong to be able to spin a cross threaded nut all the way down by hand I told him.

I crossed that joint off my list of businesses that will ever again see a cent of my money.

Quick Reply: Dealer strips oil drain plug