General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys that left you disappointed......

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:16 PM
BigBrad
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harleys that left you disappointed......

Anybody else seen a Harley that they thought "Man that bike is awesome looking, I can't wait to see it in person" only to leave you a bit let down once you either saw it, sat on it, or rode it for the first time?

My first Harley love was the fatboy. I thought it was the coolest bike Harley made. I still think it's a great looking bike but I was really disappointed on how it felt for me when I sat on it for the first time. It just didn't fit me at all. I'm sure the bike is perfect for some people but for me it was an ergonomic disaster.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:22 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the FATBOY. When I rode mine I always felt like I was on an over grown Cushman!

Old 06-22-2010, 03:23 PM
pjmoraldo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that makes the bike a let down it just makes you too dam big! J/k

Old 06-22-2010, 03:25 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Loved my Fatboy. Had to sell it a few years back. Of course now I love my Street Glide even more. Both bikes I liked the looks first and wasn't disappointed in person

Old 06-22-2010, 03:30 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Even though I didn't want to get back into a sportster, I was pretty excited about the 48 coming out. It is one cool looking bike, but after sitting on it, I literally felt like a giant! The seat would need to be changed out at the get-go as it feels like a wood board. Most uncomfortable Sportster ever! Guess it's good for those who are short with iron butts. Oh, well. Changing a seat out is pretty easy, but considering the 48 is the most expensive Sportster (might as well get a Dyna), I expected it to be at least as comfortable as a Nightster.

On the other hand, I test-rode a V-Rod, knowing full well I wasn't going to get it. It is an interesting bike. As far as looks, I really don't like it much, but was curious. After sitting on it and test-riding it, it was AMAZING! Exceeded any expectations that I had about it. If my funds were unlimited, I'd probably have one in my garage! I was VERY impressed. It just one of those things, you have to test ride it before passing judgement.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Finn111
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my heart set on a Fatboy. If not that, I wanted a Heritage. Just loved the look. finally after about a year of humming and hawing, and ogling over them, I actually rode one. Being 6'4" with long legs, I found the Fatboy to be the most uncomfortable bike I could find! I ended up with the Softail Custom. And even with Extended Forward Controls I'm still a little cramped!!!!

Old 06-22-2010, 03:38 PM
BigBrad
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pjmoraldo
I don't think that makes the bike a let down it just makes you too dam big! J/k

lmao............yeah you're probably right. Years before I ever had the means to buy a harley I loved the looks of the fatboy. I never even sat on a harley until I was serious about buying one.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:43 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

only 2, the Rock and Bones don't ring my bell in person at all...

Old 06-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Road King = looks sweet, wanted one bad, didn't like it after I rode one.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:00 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the Ultra. man, I just couldn't get comfortable on one. maybe if I were 6 inches shorter it'd worked. I sat so far forward, I felt like I was on my kid's 21" bike. my knees were up in my armpits. the Fatboy gave me the leg room I needed.

Quick Reply: Harleys that left you disappointed......