General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Ratings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:15 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Great idea,but free country and all no way to stop anybody from trying to keep up their first time out.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:23 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess for a group it would be a good idea. Sounds to me though the guy made a bonehead decision and it is a shame injuries were result. I don't think a group ride is the place to cut your teeth on 2-up riding.

2-up is not that hard but it is different and now he has the keep-up, fit in formation factors along with getting used to the passenger all rolling through his head.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurkeyRun
A couple weekends ago, my HOG chapter went on a ride (I wasn't with them). There was a bad single-bike crash that put 2 people in the hospital for over a week. Turns out, the guy riding had never had anyone on the back of his bike before, the gal on his pillion had never been on a bike before, this was his first ride with the group, and they went on a full day in the mountains kind of ride.

To make a long story short, they lost it in a curve, blood everywhere, broken bones, etc. But they'll live.

So, this got me to thinking. "Back in the day" I used to go 4-wheelin'. Still have my '68 Bronco. Whenever we went to a group run in the hills somewhere, there was a trail guide that would inspect your vehicle and say, "OK, you can go on the Level 1 trails only", or "You're good for Level 3 and below", or what ever.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to get people thinking about maybe, group motorcycle rides should have something similar. Rating the rides, or setting the expectation that the ride leader can punt riders if he/she doesn't feel comfortable with their match to the ride.

So, just thought I'd throw that out here, see if anyone has such a rating system, ideas, or what to keep n00bie riders from hurting themselves.

While I think this theory may have some merit, in practical application it will NEVER work primarily because too many "novice riders" are not ever going to admit, especially in front of a group, that they are in fact "novice riders" out of some stupid sense of vanity.....human nature what it is, inexperienced riders are only very rarely going to admit that they have little to no experience. It will not occur to them that their being honest is a very real and serious safety factor; and if it does cross their minds they are likely to dismiss telling anyone lest they look somehow "inferior" or some such nonsense! Looking over the bikes is not a bad idea, but that's not going to tell you if the rider of the bike is any good or not! Some clubs set up practice sessions to help new riders gain experience in a less stressful and potentially deadly setting than a group ride. Practice sessions are extremely helpful in developing necessary skills.....alone or in very small groups (2 or 3) of mixed experience riders. One of the most important things to keep in mind is that all of us, regardless of how long we've been riding or how many miles in the saddle, are all still learning! And if not, then it's time to get the hell off the bike before you kill yourself or someone else!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 AM
DLW_FLHTC
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not let anyone on the back of my bike each spring until I have a few rides alone complete just to get my "bike" legs back.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

This was a HOG chapter?
Where were the Road Captions, the Safety Officer, did you have a pre-ride meeting, does your HOG chapter teat all new riders like this?

Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 AM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frog13
Ummmmm, yeah, right ............. Let's see, we have some nice twisties through the kettles up here, maybe a two on a nice day early in the year, three in the rain, four when the gravel is still in the turns in the spring and a five at the end of the summer when the tar snakes are biting and all the traffic has the road oiled up. Who rides them everyday to report and update the conditions? Just wonderin' ?
My thoughts exactly, even experienced riders have freak accidents.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:59 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Teats? For new riders. I am going to join that chapter. Sorry couldn't help myself. Hate mssing a key stroke and leaving letters out in words myself.
Originally Posted by Kenney
This was a HOG chapter?
Where were the Road Captions, the Safety Officer, did you have a pre-ride meeting, does your HOG chapter teat all new riders like this?

Old 06-23-2010, 11:06 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly Troll
While I think this theory may have some merit, in practical application it will NEVER work primarily because too many "novice riders" are not ever going to admit, especially in front of a group, that they are in fact "novice riders" out of some stupid sense of vanity.....human nature what it is, inexperienced riders are only very rarely going to admit that they have little to no experience. It will not occur to them that their being honest is a very real and serious safety factor; and if it does cross their minds they are likely to dismiss telling anyone lest they look somehow "inferior" or some such nonsense! Looking over the bikes is not a bad idea, but that's not going to tell you if the rider of the bike is any good or not! Some clubs set up practice sessions to help new riders gain experience in a less stressful and potentially deadly setting than a group ride. Practice sessions are extremely helpful in developing necessary skills.....alone or in very small groups (2 or 3) of mixed experience riders. One of the most important things to keep in mind is that all of us, regardless of how long we've been riding or how many miles in the saddle, are all still learning! And if not, then it's time to get the hell off the bike before you kill yourself or someone else!

This is my exact take on this. I found this out first hand while watching what I thought was an experienced rider slide off the road and into someones front yard from my rear view mirror. The guy talked allot about riding.... Hell even rode out to Sturgis and back but the skill set was not there for the twisties. To this day he blames it on the road, the bike his tires.... People just can't/wont admit when they are riding over there head.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:24 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

i have about 30,000 miles on a motorcycle. i am not good at the twisties. i don't seem to have the vision or skill to ride at a speed to stay up. it doesn't seem to be improving either. i just ride at my pace and catch up when my friends pull over. i consider myself kind of a safety first type of person. accidents are painful, expensive and inconvienent. sorry about the spelling. one of our problems is traffic lights, getting every one on the same page. some riders run through the light at what i consider late. ain't worth the risk. i also prefer good spacing between my bike and others. don't want to visit while running down the road at 80.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:19 PM
mnskip
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why I don't do group rides much. Try grouping good riders with bad when your riding with 3000 others, like last weekends MN Patriot Guard ride. I know a Patriot Guard rider I wouldn't ride next to or in front of. Just because they wear a vest don't make them experts. I don't consider myself an expert, and I always think I could use more experience, thats why I only ride with people I can get that from. Nothing against Hog rides, but they are the worst. New riders on new bikes.

Quick Reply: Ride Ratings?