General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet theft ?? Seat theft ?? WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Monkeymann_916
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Helmet theft ?? Seat theft ?? WTF??

Check it out.
My gurlie's always asking about the poosibilities of our helmets being stolen when we get somewhere and leave the bike, with our helmets hanging from the footpegs or handlebars, and sometimes I am hesitant about doing so myself, but it is a practice that I see allot of peeps doing so it makes me feel better about it.
My answer to her is always "bikers dont steal from other bikers".....
BUT then I read all these post about peeps having there seats stolen at bike shows and such and makes me wonder....
Do bikers steal from other bikers??
SERIOUSLY?
You have to be a pretty brave soul to walk up ro someones bike and remove the seat, and then somehow try to disguise it as you walk away.
Have to be fricken crazy I would say...

Anyway, just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 AM
du510
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about that myself.

Then I've thought to myself, if I were inclined toward theft, the last person on the lot I'd want to f-with would be the Harley guy. Just working off stereotypes.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:25 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people will steal anything from anyone. ****, some stupid kid may gank your helmet just to be a pain in the ***. I won't leave my helmet behind unless I absolutely have no other choice or I can have eyes on the bike the whole time. I don't want to cough up another $200 to replace it.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:28 AM
FUBAR55
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Monkeymann_916
Check it out.
My gurlie's always asking about the poosibilities of our helmets being stolen when we get somewhere and leave the bike, with our helmets hanging from the footpegs or handlebars, and sometimes I am hesitant about doing so myself, but it is a practice that I see allot of peeps doing so it makes me feel better about it.
My answer to her is always "bikers dont steal from other bikers".....
BUT then I read all these post about peeps having there seats stolen at bike shows and such and makes me wonder....
Do bikers steal from other bikers??
SERIOUSLY?
You have to be a pretty brave soul to walk up ro someones bike and remove the seat, and then somehow try to disguise it as you walk away.
Have to be fricken crazy I would say...

Anyway, just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this.
Been leavin my chit on the bikes for years. No problem til last July, somebody liked my gloves more than me. Still leave the helmet but the gloves are in my back pocket. Bound to happen sooner or later...I did like those gloves tho.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:34 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

IMO Helmets are fairly safe to leave unlocked, if not required by law.
Some places you could leave cash sitting on the seat, if its gone when you come back just look down wind.
Other areas thieves will steal just about anything, avoid those areas as much as possible.
If your concerned get a cable lock, you can thread it through your helmets and jackets and lock them to the bike. You can also lock the bike with it as well.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A Thief is a Thief

In my opinion a thief is a thief is a thief. It could be some a$$hole who thinks they can make a quick buck or just wants your stuff. So for piece of mind I lock my stuff up.

As for seats being stolen, I've heard a lot of stories of guys leaving their bike for the night at a motel or something and coming out find their seat stolen. Hell it's only a screw that holds it down. I bought a simple screw that takes a special tool from Brukus.com. It makes for more piece of mind knowing that someone can't mess with my seat or anything else.

http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-pro...rts&item=39939

Old 06-22-2010, 11:49 AM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Monkeymann_916
... My answer to her is always "bikers dont steal from other bikers"....

Gonzy: Thanks for that link to Brukus.com.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:05 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I have a friend that lost a seat AND his carb off of his '01 1200 Sportster. It was parked out on the street, in front of his house at night for less than 20 minutes and when he returned both gone!

Old 06-22-2010, 12:29 PM
reds2harleys
Tourer

I've been leaving my helmet on my bike for as long as I've been riding ( over 25 years ) and I've never even thought about it. That will be the day that I'm carrying it around with me like a tool. I miss the days when you bought a round if you were dumb enough to put your helmet on the bar.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:37 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You would be surprised what a meth-head or junkie will do for a fix, this is no joke.

Think about it.

Also...a thief is as a thief does.

Cheers,

Tom

Quick Reply: Helmet theft ?? Seat theft ?? WTF??