Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can my bike sit idle for a week?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:10 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sonoffatboy
g-dam canucks...lol ..
so living in Canada doesn't void the warranty?

Old 06-22-2010, 12:16 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sit and idle

Originally Posted by Clocker
Just got a 2010 Fat Bob but work requires that I travel for 7 days each month. Can my bike sit like this without causing future problems for her?

Opps! you mean sit Idle! A 2010 can't sit and idle for 5 minutes without overheating

Old 06-22-2010, 12:19 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Harley used to advertise how many consecutive hours the engines were run to prove their reliability. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you provided the fuel a modern engine would absolutely run for a week.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No way in hell!!! Send it over to my house, I'll take care of it for you, no problem!

Originally Posted by Clocker
Just got a 2010 Fat Bob but work requires that I travel for 7 days each month. Can my bike sit like this without causing future problems for her?

Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Not a good idea to let either your bike or your girl sit idle for a week. Since someone has already graciously volunteered to take care of your bike while you're gone, I will step up to the plate and ride your girl.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Tucson_Tim
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
. . . but if you provided the fuel a modern engine would absolutely run for a week.
Are you saying that a 2010 would sit and idle till a full tank of gas ran out? Maybe with an oil cooler with a fan installed.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:50 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
??????? Actually, if you have been hanging around the dealerships, you should have noticed all the bikes in the showroom being constantly taken out and ridden by the lot-lizard. Each bike is designated a number and when that number comes up, the lot-lizard climbs on and takes it for its weekly exercise.
So....don't leave your bike sitting for any longer than 6 days. Unknown damage can, and will, occur and void your warranty.
Apparently your definition of "lot lizard" is a lot different than mine. I would hope they don't have lot lizards running bikes around, if they do they should cover the seats in plastic as not to spread any nastiness.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:56 PM
winchester
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Not a good idea to let either your bike or your girl sit idle for a week. Since someone has already graciously volunteered to take care of your bike while you're gone, I will step up to the plate and ride your girl.
hahhaahha first off you cant void your warranty if your canadian but that was flippen funny i had to laugh and second i wouldnt volunteer to ride anyones old lady for a week until i saw her first......and im happily married and if my wife saw this post i would be sleeping in the garage with my bike.....good news is my bike dont snore or drool.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:00 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucson_Tim
Are you saying that a 2010 would sit and idle till a full tank of gas ran out? Maybe with an oil cooler with a fan installed.
My money is on the bike even without an oil cooler and a fan. Seriously, you guys don't give these engines enough credit!

Old 06-22-2010, 01:41 PM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No! Don't do it! The bike will never be the same again! If you do, you have to go through and check every nut and bolt to make sure they haven't loosened over the week. You also need to take a swab test of the oil to make sure there are no particulates that have penetrated the tank while you were gone. That's just for a start.

Quick Reply: Can my bike sit idle for a week?