General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ottawa Hills Cop gets 10 years

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 05:54 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

10 Years is a little light but at least there is some justice at least ...

Old 06-21-2010, 06:01 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i was pulled over by a sheriff for tailgateing i deserved to be, i was, but his guy comes up with his gun pulled and yells at me to put my hands on the wheel, and not move now i am driving my trk in broad daylight in traffic on a busy street and this guy is pissed and yelling he takes my lic and reg goes back to his car does whatever they do , comes back hand on gun and gives me a lecture, really mad, i say after 5 min of verbally being abused say write me a ticket i deserve it but stop yelling and get your f hand off that gun, so he says have a good day and leaves (no ticket) but i`m glad i diden`t make some silly move and i do have a carry permit and was holding and he never asked

Old 06-21-2010, 06:06 PM
DynaRider85
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a cop is a stressful job I'm sure, and you have to be ready for anything in these kind of situations but someone that can't handle them shouldn't be a cop.

This guy will never walk again, just an all around sad story. Remember this if anyone ever gets pulled over. Just put your hands up and don't move until they tell you too. You never know how many night classes the cop took to get his badge.

TRAIN POLICE OFFICERS QUIT LETTING ANYONE BE A COP!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:21 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I take it ten years later the biker will still be in a wheel chair. The cop won't do ten.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:28 PM
JimmySGC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DXTBIKER
10 years is not long enough IMO.
+1 Agreed!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:34 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cotton Hill
Ottawa Hills officer gets 10 years in shooting of motorcyclist.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...WS02/100629970

I notice that it didn't say "10 years without the possibility of parole".

I wouldn't bet against him getting out on parole for 'good behavior' after he completes the 3 year mandatory part...

Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 PM
1bad09sglide
Cruiser

He deserves every bit of what he got plus some more.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Haywired
Road Master

I agree that 10 years is a light sentence. The arrogance not to acknowledge a mistake or offer sympathy leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. The next step will be civil court where the victim should come out in good financial shape but that still doesn’t restore his ability to walk.

Most states will ship cops to other states to serve their sentences in order to try to protect them while they are locked down.

I also agree that there are too many cops on the streets with bad attitudes that lack good judgment. One thing we can do as citizens is to file formal complaints about these bad officers through proper channels. If everybody would do that it would not take long for departments to address the issues. If you don’t get satisfaction the complaint goes to elected officials and on up until the situation is addressed.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:47 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And I don't know Ohio law, but that "mandatory" could be interpreted two different ways, it could mean that it's mandatory that the judicial system give him three years for the crime, but not that he has to serve all three years (parole), or if he'll have to serve three calendar years for the crime, and they could also possibly run the 3 year sentence concurrent with the seven year sentence and then he's basically serving just a seven year sentence unless they stipulate that it's to be run consecutive to the seven year sentence. Either way, they're going to send him to a Federal facility where he can't possibly run into anybody that's he's arrested in the past, and it will probably be a country club as well. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:14 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The police dash camera video says it all. a picture is worth a thousand words and a video is worth 1 million words. there is just no defense that could be made with that video in hand. The best thing that officer could of come up with was my "figure accidently slipped and pulled the trigger."

the motorycle rider was sitting in a nature position one hand on the right bar and one on the hip after watching the video I realized that I do it 9 out of 10 times at stop lights.

These guys were not at the scene of a major crime it was just some young guys cutting loose on there bikes. and to jump out of the police car like he just caught bin laden bullets were flying before the biker probably even heard him.