General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Formation Riding - FAIL!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:54 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

KNow all to well what you speak of. Same deal heal on a couple of rides. And bigtime on Americas 9-11 ride last year. Two guys, and not pucking but they were GWers also, were so messed up, I thought screw you two and passsed them on a safe stretch. Was like they didnt have a clue.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:41 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
you got what you deserve...riding in a group is dangerous. riding side by side is dangerous. you would have been better off on some country road by yourself.

don't blame the non-harley riders...plenty of them would pop wheelies if their bikes had enough power. i imagine most of the loud bikes in the ride were harleys...i'm sure some of them were gassing it just to hear their noisy mufflers.

it is a shame that your HOG chapter has nothing better to do than teach you how to ride in formation and therefore put yourself in needless danger. i recieved a years free membership in the nat'l HOG when i bought my bike...glad i did not join the local.

unless the ride was restricted to expierenced riders only, you should expect all types of riders with varying skill levels. it seems that the highlight of the ride for you was not putting your foot down. get out on the back roads, stop often, PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN, smell the roses, and quit complaining about something that you brought on yourself.
dan conner says, "don't blame the non-harley riders"

Please read my entire post or at least the first line before commenting...
The first 2 sentences read, "Please be aware this is not a non HD rider bashing thread. This is a thread about idiots who have no idea what riding in formation means, but don't let a little thing like that stop them".
I could care less what kind of bikes they rode. I am sure that somewhere in the formation there were HD riders behaving badly. They however were not in front of me, these bozo's were. The entire point was they were acting dangerously not what kind of bikes they rode. If you want to slam me at least slam me for something I actually did!

I don't care where dan rides, that's up to him. I won't tell him where I think he should ride, it would be nice if showed me the same courtesy.....

Old 06-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]I don't care where dan rides, that's up to him. I won't tell him where I think he should ride, it would be nice if showed me the same courtesy.....[/QUOTE

I have to agree here . What's with the slamming ? If everyone had the attitude Dan does there would be NO charity rides and many of them raise funds for very worthwhile causes . Lighten up man !

Old 06-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Wingnut51
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Riding 2x2 in a group, with riders whose skill level is unknown, IS FOR IDIOTS. There are enough dangers on the road already.
I just completed a ride sponsored by the Pickens County Sheriff and they specifically said DON'T ride side by side. Staggered formation is bad enough but there's no way I'll ride 2x2 in a group. I don't trust my best friends to ride safely like that much less a group of strangers.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Cops asking you to do 2x2????????? weird. I went on a toy run a couple of years ago and got stuck behind a couple of custom choppers that would not idle and they kept dropping back, dropping back, dropping back and then haul *** and slam on the brakes. One of them had an electrical problem and his lights flashed off and on the entire time and the other one was smoking his clutch. it smelled so bad. They were absolutely driving me crazy and I had to bail out of the ride to keep from kicking them over. I merged back in a little later and had some great guys around me after that so it was not a total loss. I was waiting in line for some food after we got there and the folks in front of me were talking about these two idiots riding their clutches on choppers irritating them on the ride over and one guy said that it was all he could do to keep from kicking them over. To funny.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:49 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too amateurish for me.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Petesnot
Cruiser

On a poker run a couple weeks ago, I wound up behind a couple guys on Wings. We are out in the middle of nowhere on Oregon backs roads. These guys insist on riding about 300 yards behind the folks ahead of them and instead of "wagon-training" though stops signs, they do a full stop, look both ways - twice - then roll on.
I try to avoid rides with more than 4 bikes. Things just seem to get crazy.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:09 AM
EVO80
Road Captain

What you describe seems to be the norm, at least in the last few rides I did. I gave up doing any sort of "rides" a few years ago when 3 rides in a row I witnessed riders going down, either by themselves or taking someone else with them, due to inability to ride in a group, lack of attention or just plain carelessness. Add into this the sheer fun of listening to guys twisting their throttles for the fun of it, riders wandering all over the road, folks drinking before the ride and I decided it wasn't worth the effort or risk to my life.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 AM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate poker runs. The only group ride I will consider anymore is our local toy run at xmas time, it's usually cold enough that only experienced riders brave it.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Just sounds like a normal group ride to me.

Quick Reply: Formation Riding - FAIL!