General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why bother owning a bike in NYC or Long Island?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:50 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Piney, I'm not gonna say it's been an easy 11yrs. It's had it's ups and downs but every time I visit my family in Passaic County, NJ I get reminded all over again why I left in the first place. I do miss my Dunkin Donuts coffee in Hawthorne, NJ though. My nearest DD is like 75 miles away.

So much stress. Chaos. Mayhem. And that's just in the mall.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:52 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
not to go off topic but whenever my wife brings up moving down south she brings up how cheap homes and taxes are like it's shang-ri-la. but you also find a lot less work and for less money. my brother and his wife are both architects with masters degrees and they can barely scrape by in virginia making thier 220K mortgage.

i love NY, if anything i'll move further north (too far north you're in the same boat though with no work and low paying jobs), i couldn't see myself living down south, too hot... great place to visit though.
Yes everything is much cheaper down here and if you live within your means you can enjoy a nice lifestyle.

My friend bought a 4bd 2.5ba home with built in pool for $190k 4 yrs ago. The house has close to 1ac of property. That same house in NJ/NY would easily top $600k+.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Babalu, I have friends in Upstate NY (Roseboom, just outside of Cooperstown), beautifull roads, great fishing, very cheap houses, nice area. And YES, no jobs that pay anything. I'm a hot weather guy, I moved from Jersey years ago and lived in Florida for a few years. My *then* wife wanted to move back so we did or I would still be there.

SC-Longhair, I also have a good friend who lives in Burnsville N.C. He's trying to hang in there but he's burning through the profit he made from his NJ house sale a little each year. He's been there around 8 years and has watched his savings account dwindle every year. He keeps trying to find a job that will support his modest lifestyle but keeps having to rely on that savings account.

As far as NYC goes, I could never live there. It would be the closest thing to hell that I could think of. I don't even like to walk in NYC let alone ride there. All the hustle & bustle & noise makes me crazy.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:58 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PineyRider
As far as NYC goes, I could never live there. It would be the closest thing to hell that I could think of. I don't even like to walk in NYC let alone ride there. All the hustle & bustle & noise makes me crazy.
i lived for years in brooklyn and worked in midtown and i do love NYC (visiting). brooklyn changed significantly, the neighborhoods aren't the same, it's either full of artsy hipster transplants, or immigrants whose culture i am not a part of so i really don't enjoy living amongst them as an outsider. i have no problem with diversity but i want to live in american not bangladesh, yemen, or hong kong.

so i moved upstate and it's nice, the riding is great, but it's still expensive, a bit more north it gets reasonable but then i'm commuting an hour to work.

long island is priced so high and i really don't get the draw, flat, non-stop traffic, endless strip malls. the hamptons and montauk are the last remaining areas for long island and they're completely polluted with yuppies and celebrities. you couldn't pay me to live on long island, it's two hours to get anywhere.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:30 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Why own a bike in NYC? To be able to get out of town.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Keith4001r
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BadGuyNYC
there is great riding in long island u dont know anything about the area obviously !!! so dont talk bout what u dont know...i have spent many hours riding the great roads of L I ...try riding the northern state parkway from the grand central all the way to the end ...also riding to the hamptons and thru sum of the vineyards great riding...i could go on forever about the great riding in LI but then i might give u idea's about where to ride and i wouldnt wanna do that....also all the great spots in LI where all the bikers hang out bars,restaraunts ,beaches,mc clubs and there party's,parkways and expressways and all the otha lil highways and as far as living in nyc i wouldnt have it any other way...sure its nice to go on vacation and i would love to have homes in other states as longs as i can always come bak to my home in nyc
Feel better?

Old 06-21-2010, 11:28 PM
BadGuyNYC
Cruiser

yea everybody from Jersey is just great....WHAT A STUPID COMMENT TO MAKE....yes i feel a lil better thnx for askin

Last edited by BadGuyNYC; 06-21-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:22 AM
matthew70407
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Hog 0308

Old 06-22-2010, 05:48 AM
HossNH
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PineyRider
But the worst place I have ever ridden through was Atlanta. Never again on a bike. I rode through on a weekday on my way to Daytona after visiting a friend in Anderson S.C. Nothing but horns blowing, people screaming at each other in traffic and tires squealing from brakes locked up or squealing from angry drivers pulling away from lights with their foot to the floor burning the tires off the rims. I never saw so much anger in one city.
... and that was in the church parking lot

Last edited by HossNH; 06-22-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:02 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was born and raised on Long Island and now live in NC. Been here about 23 years. I still ride up to LI to see family and friends. NYC sucks to ride in but I gotta disagree with riding on LI...Plenty of good roads out in the country and especially out east. Riverhead..Southhold..lots of areas out east. Plenty of farmland and beach roads.
I'm going up there soon (on the bike again) and the first thing I'm doing is getting breakfast at a deli and then lunch is gonna be pizza.
Cost of living on Long Island is insane. But it's still a great place to visit.
Oh yeah..almost forgot..the wimmin on L.I. are smokin' hot..and lots of 'em.

Quick Reply: why bother owning a bike in NYC or Long Island?