General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why bother owning a bike in NYC or Long Island?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:09 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was never crazy about "White Plains" NY. The times I've been through there on my way to Laconia was like sitting in a parking lot for hours on end without traffic even moving. But the worst place I have ever ridden through was Atlanta. Never again on a bike. I rode through on a weekday on my way to Daytona after visiting a friend in Anderson S.C. Nothing but horns blowing, people screaming at each other in traffic and tires squealing from brakes locked up or squealing from angry drivers pulling away from lights with their foot to the floor burning the tires off the rims. I never saw so much anger in one city.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:29 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well not everyone can handle riding in NYC.

for those that can handle it, riding through the city is fantastic, especially on a warm summer night.

it takes skill though. if you dont have the goods, then new york will overwhelm you.

New York is a great city with more stuff to do on a weeknight than lots of places have to offer all year.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:38 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Sucks to B U
Move out here to Kansas.
U can ride all day long and C bout 50 cages.
There's more Opposums here than Oppeople.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i was driving a semi on the LIE, long is. heading up to nyc. a enduro motorcycle cuts in my lane, slaming into my fender/bumper.rite in front of me and keeps going.. it is like bumpercars there.. and your rite,a full block clear you try to change lanes, a car speeds up to 100 mph flying a bird blows horn and blocks you from switching lanes .. they couldnt pay me enough to drive thru there again

Old 06-21-2010, 12:49 AM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess thats why most come over to new jersey for the weekend to ride ........and 90% of them are ********

Old 06-21-2010, 06:46 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

No bud...you're missing the point. It's not worth living in LI or NYC. Keep the bike and move some place else.

I grew up near Paterson, NJ (15mi west of NYC). I moved south 11yrs ago. I ride free and you don't even want to know what my "rush hour" is like.

I used to ride through midtown all the time. Nothing scarier than having two cabs driven by towel heads trying to slam each other on the west side highway....and "you" happen to get caught right in the middle of their lil war.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:06 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

well to clarify i live in orange county NY, i was visiting family on long island i don't live there, where i live it's open roads.

as for "great riding" and knowing nothing about LI or NYC i grew up in brooklyn and later moved to Port Jefferson, then back to brooklyn MY ENTIRE LIFE!!! so i think i know something about it. i just moved two years ago to orange county.

driving out east is awful, it's a parking lot of saab's and audi's going to the hamptons. the GCP to Northern state is just a jam packed highway. i know probably every road on long island and nyc and imo it just stinks for riding.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:28 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
No bud...you're missing the point. It's not worth living in LI or NYC. Keep the bike and move some place else.

I grew up near Paterson, NJ (15mi west of NYC). I moved south 11yrs ago. I ride free and you don't even want to know what my "rush hour" is like.

I used to ride through midtown all the time. Nothing scarier than having two cabs driven by towel heads trying to slam each other on the west side highway....and "you" happen to get caught right in the middle of their lil war.
SC-Longhair, I give you credit. You're definately in the minority of people who moved from Jersey to SC and actually STAYED there. Many of my friends and co-workers tried moving to either N or S Carolina and ended up moving back within 2 years. They loved the area and house they bought but couldn't find work that payed the bills.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:38 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PineyRider
SC-Longhair, I give you credit. You're definately in the minority of people who moved from Jersey to SC and actually STAYED there. Many of my friends and co-workers tried moving to either N or S Carolina and ended up moving back within 2 years. They loved the area and house they bought but couldn't find work that payed the bills.
not to go off topic but whenever my wife brings up moving down south she brings up how cheap homes and taxes are like it's shang-ri-la. but you also find a lot less work and for less money. my brother and his wife are both architects with masters degrees and they can barely scrape by in virginia making thier 220K mortgage.

i love NY, if anything i'll move further north (too far north you're in the same boat though with no work and low paying jobs), i couldn't see myself living down south, too hot... great place to visit though.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:41 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by farmerstu
Originally Posted by BadGuyNYC
F**k it ....i guess any dummy can talk about a place they know absolutely nothing about and only what they hear
people are just angry and looking for an altercation

you mean like this?
yeap... just imagine thousands of angry "BadGuyNYC" packed bumper to bumper for about 50 miles...

Last edited by babalu; 06-21-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Quick Reply: why bother owning a bike in NYC or Long Island?